cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCC

gbowling
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following configuration. Three SBC provided SONET nodes, with OC-3 on the customer side. SBC is provisioning the OC-3's over their OC-12 ring with Fujitsu FLM 600s handing off the OC-3s.

We're attempting to put ONS-15454's behind the Fujitsu network to provision services. I understand that this is not a normal situation, you would typically connect the ONS platforms directly to dark fiber. However, this is being done to provision a variety of services over the network.

SBC does not pass DCC through to us, therefore we cannot see the ONS switches or provision circuits.

SBC is telling us that they cannot give us DCC, apparently they can't do tunneling through their network. I question whether this is actually the case and am still looking for resources in SBC to help.

However, if this is the case, is there a way to provision circuits over the ONS platforms without using DCC?

3 Replies 3

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

As far as I am aware, you can create a DCC tunnel to transport traffic from third-party SONET equipment across ONS 15454 networks. Tunnels can be created on the Section DCC channel or any Line DCC channel.

melon_2
Level 1
Level 1

SBC can provision DCC on the FLM-600's low speed facilities...in this case it seems to be a matter of whether they want to or not. If they are handing you an OC3c, I believe you can pass DCC overhead through it - just provision it on your 15454 on the appropriate facilities.

Unfortunately SBC will not do that.

I essentially found what you're talking about, although not elaborated as well, from one of their field Techs.

It turns out, they have configured that in the past, but will no longer do it. I was told they found some security vulnerabilities in doing it and no longer provide it.

Not sure if that's just something in our region or if it's really a policy from SBC.

I did find that you can build circuits. To build an ethergroup circuit, you have to define both the source and destination as being your local node. Once that's done, you have to add drops to that circuit to configure then out the physical ports to the remote locations.

You have to do this at every node, and you don't get any management of it. Once configured, you have to plug things in and hope they work.. Of course, once you get them working they are reliable and you can also get some snmp info off the ports to determine if something goes down.

All in all, it's not nearly as "neat" as when you have DCC.

I haven't gotten to "how" to configure VT's yet, but I think it's similar. Except you can define the source and destination a bit different, but then have to put in drops to the remote locations. Not sure, I haven't gotten it to work yet. If you have any suggestions on that, let me know.

Thanks,

Gary