Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DWDM 1Gbps and 10Gbps

Hi guys,

I hope you're doing fine, this is my first time on the forums. I've one question, I've a fiber PtP link through a local carrier and right now they installed us 1Gbps transceivers, the link goes over DWDM and uses one pair of single-mode fiber optics. I would like to know if it's possible to switch these 1Gbps transceivers with 10Gbps transceivers?

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Silver

If you have pt to pt 1G and

If you have pt to pt 1G and goes over DWDM then you need to ask local carrier how much they are going to charge for a 10G circuit. 

Yes they have to change the transceivers but more than that they have to re-provision your circuit. It is possible that your current 1G circuit is carried with several other customer on a 10G wavelength (DWDM). Now they have to run a 10G wavelength just for you. 

If it was  a dark fiber they you could just change the transceiver. 

Hello,There are two aspects

Hello,

There are two aspects to be considered before we get a nod.

1. Design - Primarily the distance will be an influencing factor on moving from 1G to 10G. There are other factors to be included as well on the DWDM network.

2. Who is doing the transponding (conversion of client signal into specific wavelength) function? Is it you or the carrier?

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sudheesh S.

Views
Helpful
Replies