cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DWDM and other Light Spectrum Wavelengths (Nanometer vs Frequency)

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

Please may I ask a couple of questions.

1. What is the range of frequencies that DWDM uses. Is there a defined band of the EM spectrum where all laser/light frequencies can operate at?

2. Why do we mesaure all laser and optical light carriers as NM wavelengthsize, ie 850nn, 1310nm etc etc, and why dont we just use the term freqeuncy in Thz? After all, all other ranges within the spectrum use the primary term of frequency and not wavelength size?

Many thx indeed,

Ken

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes frequency for a particular wavelngth in in THz but two wavelngth are 100Gh apart. Like first two wavelngth in your attachement are 1530.33 and 1529.99 in frequency they are 196THz and 195.9THz so 0.1Thz is equal to 100Ghz.

Te formula you mentioned is to calculate frequency not change in frequency you have to differentiate to get change will lat you know the formula to calculate that 100Ghz soon

View solution in original post

Your link is to the "visible light" spectrum:

"A typical human eye will respond to wavelengths from about 380 to 750 nm.[1] In terms of frequency, this corresponds to a band in the vicinity of 790-400 terahertz."

The DWDM frequencies are in the 186 - 192 THz range.

Is it the same for an optics carrier signal -The freqency and carrier waves are being generated all the time, if data is ready for transmission or not?

Yes the frequency chart you attached earlier are the DWDM frequency/wavelngth and then you modulate with data.

In Ethernet, Fast or Gig but there is no multiplexing involved as in DWDM there are many wavelngth In case of etherent only baseband signal.

For frequency for Ethernet, Fast & gig see the link

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

see if this is helpful too

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/technology/handbook/Ethernet.html

20 Replies 20

jaie.solis
Level 1
Level 1

Ken,

1. DWDM typically refers to lambda or wavelength rather than frequency. DWDM systems primarily use C and/or L band ranges which start around 1500 nm and go higher.

2. Not sure why wavelength is used instead of frequency. Obviously there is a simple conversion from one to the other. Keep in mind that the physical fiber is also rated according to the wavelengths they support and should be chosen based on the lasers employed by the DWDM system.

- Jaie

Hi Jaie, and all.

Many thx for the help mate.

Can I just confirm the conversion with your from Nanometer to wavelength? Or do you know of a simpler calulations.

I got this from the following URL:

http://www.powertechnology.com/calculations.asp

Converting wavelength to frequency

Use the following equation to convert wavelength to frequency:

v (Hz) = 2.998 x 10'17 / wavelength (nm).

==============

So example 1 is the color red approx 440 tHz

x

=

/

682 nm

=

==============

Example 2 is a DWDM wavelength 1539.19nm which is 194.9 Thz

x

=

/

1538.19 nm

=

==============

Example 3 is the standard 850nm GBIC which equates (I hope) TO 352.7 tHz

x

=

/

850 nm

=

Does this sound about right?

Many thx indeed,

Ken

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The wavelengths used by the ONS 15454 MSTP are outlined in data sheet (link below):

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/optical/ps5724/ps2006/ps5320/product_data_sheet09186a00801849e7.html>

The current light frequencies in use were mainly chosen due to the fiber cable's operating characteristics, mainly specific frequency regions with low optical loss. Also, current optical amplifier designs have a limited operating range.

A good book on the subject is "Optical Networks - A Practical Perspective" authored by Rajiv Ramaswami (a Cisco employee) and Kumar Sivarajan.

Hope this helps!

Hi there,

Many thx, but sorry to confuse matters.

If you look at the doc

32-wavelength multiplexer, 100-GHz, C band

32-wavelength demultiplexer, 100-GHz, C band

32-channel demultiplexer 100-GHz (for use with 32-WSS), C band

32-channel demultiplexer 100-GHz (for use with 32-WSS), L band

4-wavelength multiplexer/demultiplexer, 100-GHz, C band

If you look here, light in the em spectrum is within the tHz frequency range?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_light

So I am a little confused?

Many thx,

Ken

Hi Ken,

As in my earlier post this 100GHz is not the frequency of the wavelngth but it is the difference between to wavelngths. Take 2 wavelngth for cisco i.e 1530.3 & 1531.1 and calculate frequency as per your formula you will get difference of 100GHz.

so in wavelngth they are 0.8nm apart but in frequency they are 100GHz apart.

ahhhh. Thankyou :)

So wavelengths are typically in the ThZ frequency seperated by 100 gHz of freqeuncy. Is that the correct way to keep it in my head?

Please would you be so kind to confirm.

Many thanaks a big 5s to all who have made it clear :))

Beer in post.

Thx

Ken

Yes frequency for a particular wavelngth in in THz but two wavelngth are 100Gh apart. Like first two wavelngth in your attachement are 1530.33 and 1529.99 in frequency they are 196THz and 195.9THz so 0.1Thz is equal to 100Ghz.

Te formula you mentioned is to calculate frequency not change in frequency you have to differentiate to get change will lat you know the formula to calculate that 100Ghz soon

Hi Vishwamurti,

BIG 5 for you mate. Many many thx. That is an excellent and conside response. Excellent.

Many thx indeed for the help,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the rating.

As per my previous post formula to calculate the difference between frequency in GHZ you have to go back to your college Math means Differentiation

λ=c/f (f=Frequency)

when you differentiate

dλ=c/f^2*df

When you insert df (difference in frequency)=100GHz

f(frequency)=take any of your frequency e.g 192THz

c(speed of light)=3x10^8meter per second

after calculation you will fine that 100Ghz is equal to 0.8nm as per above formula difference in wavelngth in nm.

Thx man. My brain has just "blue-screened" - gonna have to absorb this one carefully :)

Thx so much mate :)

Ken

OK, just to take things on a bit of a tangent, if I may.

Lets say in Wireless, the frequency is 2.4 Ghz, and the wireless carrier is always there, and only when data needs to go over the airwaves, data is encoded onto the carrier wave.

Is it the same for an optics carrier signal -The freqency and carrier waves are being generated all the time, if data is ready for transmission or not?

Now, a bit off topic for this section: would it be the same for ethernet?

Lets say I have my PC at home, connected to my ethernet hub. and nothing is being transmitted by my PC or on the wire (theorectically). Is there a constant elctrical signal generating a carrier wave on the wire bewteen my laptop and hub or does a carrier only exist on ethernet when data is ready to be transmitted?

And what are the fequencies of ethernet, fast and gig ethernet?

Sorry if I have diverted from the optical stuff now, as you guys have given me all the awnsers on that side of things :))

Many thx, and kind regards,

Ken

Yes the frequency chart you attached earlier are the DWDM frequency/wavelngth and then you modulate with data.

In Ethernet, Fast or Gig but there is no multiplexing involved as in DWDM there are many wavelngth In case of etherent only baseband signal.

For frequency for Ethernet, Fast & gig see the link

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

see if this is helpful too

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/technology/handbook/Ethernet.html

Hi Vishwamurti,

BIG 5 for you mate. Many many thx. That is an excellent and conside response. Excellent.

Many thx indeed for the help,

Ken

Your link is to the "visible light" spectrum:

"A typical human eye will respond to wavelengths from about 380 to 750 nm.[1] In terms of frequency, this corresponds to a band in the vicinity of 790-400 terahertz."

The DWDM frequencies are in the 186 - 192 THz range.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco