cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DWDM - Nortel vs CISCO

akhan2004
Level 1
Level 1

I need the details in this topic. Who has better technology. I checked out by the search engines and case studies, usually everyone goes to Nortel rather than cisco in DWDM technology, It means DWMDM technology is not mature in CISCO. AK

3 Replies 3

yellowman123
Level 1
Level 1

If you're dreaming, well this is the way to go ,but in the real world, CISCO DWDM rules-talk to those customers who already have it. Wake up and smell the coffee my friend!

Do you have any idea about the project in SanJose, awarded to whom ? And the second project thats to be deploy in Dubai, awarded to the same company in CISCO solutions. Actually I am not against CISCO or Nortel, I am interested in facts, actually I am working in cisco solutions as a LAN/WAN and InfoSec Consultant for 10 years out of my 13 years experience, cisco has dymanic solutions in routers and switching only.

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

This probably isn't the best place for a "who is better?" question as there is a slight bias here...

However, there are many more players in the field than just Cisco and Nortel and you have to remember that DWDM is a technology and not a product. Different companies make different products and any large DWDM solution will use products (sub-systems/components) from more than one supplier.

Some other major players you need to also look at include Alcatel, Lucent, NEC, Ciena, ADVA and many others. Finally, Cisco doesn't offer the same range of products as Nortel so trying to say who is "better" depends on first defining a specific range of requirements.

HTH

Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: