Views
Helpful
Replies

DWDM passive 15216

fernanrl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to find a link on how to provision/connect several DWDM passive 15216 to create a DWDM ring. Every one of them will have attached a 6500 with a XENPAK-10GB. See also drawing.

Any info on the configuration of the 15216 will be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Fer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 15216 FlexLayer is pretty simple to 'configure'. It's just buying the appropriate (matched) passive filters and sliding them in the shelf (just a sheet metal wrapper). The only configuration per se is planning your wavelength plan and diagramming your input/output fiber strands. There are no active components in the 15216 FlexLayer. Once you've set it all up, the Catalysts will appear as adjacent to each other. Nothing in the FlexLayer is visible to the active components. Note that to form a ring, you will need an "eastbound" and westbound" interface in each Catalyst. Your diagram only appeared to show one 10 Gbps interface per Catalyst. (You can connect them point to point in a linear fashion but can't form a POS ring).

I assume you are fiber strand constrained, thus the desire to use a FlexLayer solution. If you aren't, just use optics with appropriate reach characteristics and skip the 15216 altogether.

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/ong/15216/flxlyr20/flxr2.pdf

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 15216 FlexLayer is pretty simple to 'configure'. It's just buying the appropriate (matched) passive filters and sliding them in the shelf (just a sheet metal wrapper). The only configuration per se is planning your wavelength plan and diagramming your input/output fiber strands. There are no active components in the 15216 FlexLayer. Once you've set it all up, the Catalysts will appear as adjacent to each other. Nothing in the FlexLayer is visible to the active components. Note that to form a ring, you will need an "eastbound" and westbound" interface in each Catalyst. Your diagram only appeared to show one 10 Gbps interface per Catalyst. (You can connect them point to point in a linear fashion but can't form a POS ring).

I assume you are fiber strand constrained, thus the desire to use a FlexLayer solution. If you aren't, just use optics with appropriate reach characteristics and skip the 15216 altogether.

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/ong/15216/flxlyr20/flxr2.pdf

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. It is what I was looking for. The only thing is that I need to create a ring in order to get ALL the catalyst to communicate with each other. Is it not possible to do it with just one 10 Gbps interface? I would have thought that the 15216 would have taken care of creating the ring. Do I need two interfaces then? Please, advice.

Regards,

Fer

Yes, you need two interfaces. Remember the 15216 is strictly a pasive physical layer device. It's really only a precision packaging of some optical refraction and filtering to move light from one wavelength to another. It does NOTHING else. Any layer 2 or higher adjacency or connectivity needs to be established with your Catalyst interfaces.

That said, you only need to establish a ring if you are looking for ring-based protection scheme (e.g. POS). One could configure the three Catalysts in a "V" sort of configuration with one acting as the apex (and typically the STP root bridge). This would be less resilient than a ring-based configuration as that apex Catalyst would be a single point of failure. That is not necessarily a bad thing. I could imagine, for example, if that root Catalyst was in the facility with the data center, that connectiivty between the other two in and of itself would add no value in the absence of data center connectivity.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: