Replies

DWDM?

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

DWDM:support 80 chanels?what this mean?

CWDM:Support 8 channels?what this mean?

how the above being terminated?on both end?I Mean they need transponder on both end?

are they Single Mode in term of fiber?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When we refer to channels on a xWDM system, whether Coarse or Dense WDM, we are talking about the number of signals (wavelengths) that can be transmitted on a fiber.  A WDM system separates a single fiber into multiple lanes of light.  I.e., for an 8 channel CWDM system, 8 signal paths are available between site A  and Site B, typically using 2 optical fibers (one transmit and one receive).  The device that separates the fiber into multiple light paths and provides the user access (via optical connectors) is the optical multiplexer/demultiplexer. A different frequency specific optical signal is required for each of the wavelength paths.  A signal is inserted into the Multiplexer at one end and removed from the fiber at the far end using a Demultiplers.  These wavelength signals can be generated by transponders or a WDM compliant transceivers (such as SFP/GBIC/XENPACK/ETCs).

WDM systems typically operate over singlemode fiber.

Let me know if this helps and if you have additional questions.

Tom

thanks man

can u give me an example when the distance is 7 Km and the SMF is 6 pair,how we deal now in this situation

Thanks

Cisco Dense Wavelength-Division Multiplexing Small Form-Factor Pluggable Module
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6576/product_data_sheet0900aecd80582763.html

Please don't forget to rate our posts.  Thanks.

I am not sure if this is what you were asking for, but I have attached a diagram outlining your example (MS Powerpoint).

Let me know if this helps or if you have additional questions.

Tom

Tom,Thanks