Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber connectivity with ASA

I am having a fiber for internet converted to ethernet using ISP's media convertor . Now that media convertor is not that good and hangs sometimes . Edge equipment is ASA and if I need to put fiber there I would require to puchase SSM-4GE which is quite expensive at the moment for us . I was thinking if I can put the Fiber into Layer 2 switch and  take out an ethernet cable from switch to firewall . Put both those ports into VLAN xxx and put ip address to the firewall .

This solution should work and in this case the L2 switch would become media convertor ( 2960S ) . If this is correct can I use this kind of setup on mass scale ?

Comments please

3 Replies 3

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why not have the ISP replace the faulty media converter? The ISP may require the media converter as their demarcation point (hand-off) for their service to your company. 

I will need to talk to ISP to check out if they are using the media convertor for any other purpose . But if ISP says that you can pick up that fiber directly and put into ASA/Switch/RTR then I can try that solution right ?

Yes you can do that just fine for the purpose you ask.

As far as scale, 2960S (non-compact) models have either 2 or 4 SFP ports so you could do thise for up to four such connections with the right 2960S model.

Hoep this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: