Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our beta test area to get started.

Fiber in Storage environment!!

Hi all,

I need to know that if my storage environment (within 50mtrs) has 10Gig can i use UTP in place of fibers.

Thats right that fiber have their own advantage of latency , speed, BW etc. but why not UTP ?

Reply will be appreciated.

• Optical Networking
3 REPLIES

You can run 10gb over UTP. It requires CAT6a cable and there are distance limitations, but it's possible. If you're at 50m, then you shold be OK (assuming correct cabling).

Thanks Collin,

can you explain why every Data Center always place Fiber in their storage environment why not UTP as its cost effective  also.

I know the difference  between Fiber and UTP but need solid reason for its widely deployment reasons ?

Back in the day most SAN switches didn't support copper optics. Fiber has always been considered more reliable and since we had I/O going between SAN and hosts, we wanted something fast and reliable, hence fiber. Today we have FCoE and it can certaintly run over copper.

Views
Helpful
Replies