cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fiber to ethernet

jag2001
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best way to take advantage of a new fiber ring backbone installed within company. I want to add two divisions to our network now and would like to plan for the future, not just bring them in and use regular 10mb ethernet since we have the new fiber backbone. The fiber hasn't been fully installed, Presently we had a T1 line and two of our divisions accessed the network through the T1's. A media converter was used from the patch panel to the switches. Switches are used throughout the divisions (all within a 3 mile radius of the central point). I need to bring in a new division now and want to take advantage of the new fiber. What is the best switch to use to get the best performance. The divisions that are being brought in will not have more than 8 users.

5 Replies 5

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

It depends. How many strands of fiber are available between each location? Many strands may mean you can set up point-to-point links in a hub/spoke or star topology. If only two to four strands or so in a true ring topology, and you may be better off considering SONET or CWDM; but that equipment can get pricey very quickly, and is hard to cost-justify for 8-user locations.

I assume of course that it's all single mode fiber.

Cost-wise, the least expensive way to get those eight users at each location onto the fiber with only Cisco equipment would be...let's say L2 or L3 switches like the 2950G or 3550, with LX/LH GBICs. Or maybe 3750 switches and LX/LH SFPs.

Or, use media converters to connect the 10/100 switches in each location via 100-meg Fast Ethernet. But then you're talking third-party manufacturers, like Transition Networks (www.transition.com).

This is new single mode fiber run. Only 20 of the strands will be used for other purposes, leaving a lot of strands available. If the future we will be connecting to the "outside world" via broadband connection which will provide 5Mbs download and upload speeds. I want equipment that will be able to take full advantage of this new speed and fiber run. I assume with the 2950G I won't need the media converters.

Also, would like to explain a little more. I have two locations that will be coming into the network. One location (which I will call Div B) however does not have a server and will be accessing the network through this 2nd division's (which will be Div A) server. Div A currently has a 2900XL switch and is using a 10/100fx to 10/100tx converter. Div B is about 1-1/2 mile from Div A. Fiber is connected into both buildings now, but obviously now being used because I haven't brought them into the network yet. Does it still make the most sense to use a 2950G switch to get the best speed.

2950G switches with LX/LH GBICs should do the job just fine.

When you chain them together, the switches at the DivA and DivB locations can be thought of as Intermediate Distribution Frames (IDFs) off of your main site's Main Distribution Frame (MDF).

Normally, talk of MDFs and IDFs is meant to describe wiring closets within buildings. But the LX/LH and ZX GBICs extend the distances you can connect things, so that 6 miles (LX/LH) to 42 miles (ZX) between "closets" is possible. Your network becomes a giant LAN at that point.

Thank you very much - excellent explanation. I appreciate your input

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: