cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with ONS 15454 OC3 IR 1310 Module

cnowland
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what type of input can be connected to the OC3 IR 1310 Module on the ONS 15454. Documentation states that its singlemode but can we use multimode? Thanks for the help.

4 Replies 4

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

It may work for short distances but generally isn't recommended. If my understanding is correct, most/all single-mode receivers are going to have a difficult time detecting light from a multimode cable. The result will be high loss (which is why over very short distances you may be ok).

Also, if you have a multimode receiver at the other end, you may need to attenuate the light coming from the single-mode transmitter. (Check the maximum input/output ratings of the single-mode transmitter and multimode receiver to be sure.)

Thanks for the help. I am guessing that the ONS 15454 OC3 IR 1310 card will accept the multimode input. Will the box transmit this signal over the aggregate if the multimode span is short(30 meters)?

It should accept the input -- relative to single-mode fibers, multimode fibers have bigger cores, and transfer light somewhat differently, so the result is that the single mode receiver will only detect a percentage of the light that a multimode cable sends it. This percentage is likely to be pretty low, especially as distance increases. I'd say odds are it will work at a distance as short as 30 meters, but you can't know for sure without trying and you'll want to keep an eye on bit error rates to make sure the receiver is getting a strong enough signal.

We have a Marconi 1200 ASX on the front end feeding an OC3 into the ONS 15454 OC3 IR 1310 module. We have been monitoring the stats on the ATM box and are getting BIP's that come in slowly, maybe 1 every 30 seconds or so. We have GPS timing system that checks out good. We have looped the fibers in front of the ONS and run clean to that for well over an hour. When we cut it through the ONS, thats when we get the BIP's. I am assuming it needs to be singlemode into the ONS just don't want to have to run new fiber. Thanks for your input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: