cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HP mini-GBIC with Cisco switch

fgasimzade
Level 4
Level 4

I heard it was possible to use HP mini-GBIC modules with Cisco switches, but there is a special command for it.. Has anybody heard anything about it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Caveat emptor.

Cisco has indicated they do not support the installation of non-Cisco transceiver modules within their equipment.  They have a unique identifier code stored in the transceiver's memory that is checked by the software during bootup.

As with anything, people work had to get around the systems.  Just remember that if you upgrade the switches software in the future, the hack may no longer work and a new hack will need to be worked.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I heard it was possible to use HP mini-GBIC modules with Cisco switches

You heard wrong.  It won't work.

but there is a special command for it.

Google it.  You'll find it but don't expect forum members to provide you the answer because it ain't ethically correct.

I dont see any ethical issue with it.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Caveat emptor.

Cisco has indicated they do not support the installation of non-Cisco transceiver modules within their equipment.  They have a unique identifier code stored in the transceiver's memory that is checked by the software during bootup.

As with anything, people work had to get around the systems.  Just remember that if you upgrade the switches software in the future, the hack may no longer work and a new hack will need to be worked.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: