Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP & VRRP over DWDM Circuits

I have a business request to separate some of our systems across two geographically disperse sites. Some of the systems that need splitting use HSRP & VRRP as part of an automatic failover mechanism.

My question is, if we separated our pair of 6500's and pair of 4500's core switches and used WDM technology from a Service Provider to connect the switches together so that we can preserve the VLAN's across the two sites, what is the maximum distance that can be supported. (e.g. I know that the ZX GBIC's have a limit of 70km, presumably down a dark fibre).

I am aware that part of this limit is down to the optical path budget but I am also concerned if there are timeout limits (e.g. as a result of propogation delay etc) that will come into play and break the protocols.

Does anyone know what this maximum limit is as my search on the WWW & CCO has not revealed an obvious answer.

Many thanks in advance.

• Optical Networking
2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: HSRP & VRRP over DWDM Circuits

Propogation delay is unlikely to be a concern for protocols such as HSRP and VRRP, which usually use hello intervals of at least a second during which light can travel around 200,000km through fiber.

What you may want to think about instead is whether or not running HSRP/VRRP over a WAN is the best way to accomplish your failover goals. I mention this because it's a pretty rare practice (usually routing protocols are used), though it may indeed make the most sense in your case.

Re: HSRP & VRRP over DWDM Circuits

It should work. However I would avoid extending Layer-2 across WAN links. Configure those Gig links across WDM as Layer-3 and rely on Routing Protocols for convergence.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.