Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IPV6 support on IOS for ONS 15540 ESPX

Hi!

Can anybody tell me whether IPV6 have been supported on IOS release for ONS 15540 ESPx. I know this sound kinda funny as ONS happen to be a Layer 1 optical transport but my customer wants to know. Have tried to find out via feature navigator on CCO with no results. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

4 REPLIES

Re: IPV6 support on IOS for ONS 15540 ESPX

You are correct, as a transparent DWDM system, the ONS15540 can carry IPV6 over any supported L1/L2 transport eg GE. This is supported, as the ONS15540 transponder is not concerned with the upper layer protocol of the service carried.

If the customer is enquiring whether the ONS15540 can support IPV6 from a control plane perspective - such as whether you can configure an IPV6 address on the box for management purposes, the answer is no, this is not supported at the moment.

Hi!

Thanks for clearing that up. And because you touch a bit on this management issue, I have a coupla question. I understand that ONS 15540 ESPx could be manage via OSC on channel 33 or via the NME port which can be configured with an ip address and snmp parameters. My question is can these be configured on the OSC or not, if it can, which one is better ?. The thing is that we're using DWDM as optical transport for a MPLS network and a management VPN will be used to carry snmp traffic. Appreciate your expert opinions. Thanks.

SNMP parameters are configured on each ONS15540 node (as you would a Cisco router), not the interface itself. The node then has access to the management network via its own NME or through OSC and via another node, each of which can be configured as IP interfaces.

Typically you would configure the NME port (with IP address etc) on each node and attach to your management network. The OSC provides several functions, including IP connectivity between nodes and can be used for node access (telnet/snmp) even if the NME port or your management VPN has gone down. This can be helpful for troubleshooting if the optical/DWDM layer is up, but some other device has failed.

Depending on your topology and how you wish to use your management VPN, you could configure an IP routing protocol that would primarily use the NME port for SNMP etc, but could use the OSC as a backup interface to reach your management station via a different node's NME.

You may also wish to configure a loopback interface on each node, which is always accessible despite the individual status of the other links.

Hope that helps.

Good pointers. We're exploring which option to goes based on features provided by both approach. We're thinking both actually. Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies