cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is SFP-10G-LR compatible with XFP-10GLR-OC192SR

Priyank Ghedia
Level 1
Level 1

will it work with one on each side of the fiber?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You just posted spec for the SR modules while your original post was on the LR modules. (Since fixed)

The SFP-10G-LR is a 1310 nm singlemode transceiver rated for up to 10 km spans.

The datasheet notes that these module types have  "Optical interoperability with 10GBASE XENPAK, 10GBASE X2, and 10GBASE XFP interfaces on the same link".

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

The XFP module data sheet indicates that iit is a mutirate transceiver supporting both 10GBASE-LR Ethernet and OC-192/STM-64 short-reach (SR-1) Packet-over-SONET/SDH (POS) applications.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/10-gigabit-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd802a61b9.html

As such, it is compatible with the SFP-10G-LR as long as you have the interface at the equipment configured as a 10 Gbps Ethernet LAN interface (and not a Packet-over-SONET interface or encapsulated Ethernet WAN interface).

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi Priyank, 

I think these two should be compatible. As much as I remember, I have used SFP-10G-LR with XFP-10GLR (don't remember if it was exactly XFP-10GLR-OC192SR) and they worked for me. 

I would suggest you should check the optical and electrical characteristics for these two SFP and XFP and if they fall within the same ranges, they should work for you. 

Kind regards, 

Ghulam 

Hi Priyank,

I don't think they are compatible. You would need an SFP-10G-LR on both sides.

Hi Priyank,

I don't think they are compatible. You would need an SFP-10G-LR on both sides.

Hello Ghulam,

Thank you for your response. What exactly needs to fall in the same range ? Below are the details for each of the transceivers. Both have the same numbers on comparing

Updated Table to reflect the correct part numbers

Cisco SFP+

Wavelength (nm)

Cable Type

Core Size (Microns)

Modal Bandwidth (MHz*km)***

Cable Distance*

Cisco SFP-10G-LR-Sa

Cisco SFP-10G-LR
Cisco SFP-10G-LR-X

SMF

G.652

-

10km

Wavelength (nm)

Cable Type

Core Size (micron)

Modal Bandwidth (MHz*km)

Cable Distance*

Cisco Multirate 10GBASE-LR/-LW and OC-192/STM-64 SR-1 XFP Module for SMF

SMF

G.652

-

●  10 km (10 Gigabit Ethernet)
●  2 km (OC-192/STM-64 SR-1)

Power

Product

Type

Transmit Power (dBm)*

Receive Power (dBm)*

Transmit and Receive Wavelength (nm)

Maximum

Minimum

Maximum

Minimum

Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S

Cisco SFP-10G-LR

10GBASE-LR 1310nm SMF

1260 to 1355

Product

Power Consumption (W)

Operating Temperature Range

Cisco SFP-10G-LR

COM

Product

Type

Transmit Power (dBm)

Receive Power (dBm)

Transmit Wavelength (nm)

Receive Wavelength (nm)

Maximum

Minimum

Maximum

Minimum

Range

Range

Cisco Multirate 10GBASE-LR/-LW and OC-192/STM-64 SR-1 XFP Module for SMF

10GBASE-LR/-LW 1310-nm SMF

+0.5

+0.5

1260 to 1355

1260 to 1565

Product

Power Consumption (W)

Operating Temperature Range

Cisco XFP-10GLR-OC192SR

COM

Hi Priyank, 

As Marvin mentioned, the spec you provided is for SR modules while your original post was on LR modules. I like the details he provided, so I think the subject optics are compatible. 

10GBase-SR SFP supports short link lengths and is the original Multimode optics specification however 10GBase-LR supports long link length of 10km on standard Single-Mode-Fibre (SMF). 

If possible you could test SFP-10G-LR and XFP-10GLR-OC192SR using a short fibre to ensure they are working or if you want to put an order I guess you are safe to do so. 

You can also check the following link which provides SFP compatibility information. 

https://www.compatiblesfp.com/cisco/cisco-xfp/xfp-10glr-oc192sr

Regards,

Ghulam

Thank you Ghulam for you replies! 

You are welcome.

You just posted spec for the SR modules while your original post was on the LR modules. (Since fixed)

The SFP-10G-LR is a 1310 nm singlemode transceiver rated for up to 10 km spans.

The datasheet notes that these module types have  "Optical interoperability with 10GBASE XENPAK, 10GBASE X2, and 10GBASE XFP interfaces on the same link".

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

The XFP module data sheet indicates that iit is a mutirate transceiver supporting both 10GBASE-LR Ethernet and OC-192/STM-64 short-reach (SR-1) Packet-over-SONET/SDH (POS) applications.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/10-gigabit-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd802a61b9.html

As such, it is compatible with the SFP-10G-LR as long as you have the interface at the equipment configured as a 10 Gbps Ethernet LAN interface (and not a Packet-over-SONET interface or encapsulated Ethernet WAN interface).

Thanks Marvin for your response!  and thanks for catching the error. I have updated my comment so future readers  do not get confused. 

You're welcome. Thanks for rating.

Thanks Marvin for the explanation, could you please explain how to identify traffic Packet-over-SONET interface or encapsulated Ethernet WAN interface.  Exiting are CISCO7609-S router and XFP-10GLR-OC192SR connectivity on router, planning to replace with SFP-10G-LR. But not sure about traffic please share how we can identify Ethernet LAN interface or  (a Packet-over-SONET interface or encapsulated Ethernet WAN interface).

If the existing interface is Packet over SONET, the interface identified will be like "pos0/1" in the device config.