cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LC to LC Connector ATEX/IECx Certified

andrewsmith4
Level 1
Level 1

First post guys so please be patient if I mess up.

I need a solution to connect 2 LC patch leads within an Exe enclosure.

One lead comes from a Westermo MCI-211G media convertor fitted with a Cisco GLC-SX-MM SFP transceiver, which is located within an Exd enclosure (then potted through into the Exe enclosure as per NORSOK regs), the other patch lead then goes to a non Ex rated patch panel (the media convertor is powered from the safe power system post purge).

If I wasn't constrained by the design of this particular module I would use an ATEX approved media converter (Primation P-Ex 1000 series) and locate it outside the enclosures but .....

I know that a standard LC to LC connector is a "simple device" and is completely passive, however it is not stamped with the magic ATEX CE approval.

Any solutions very welcome.

Andy

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Won't make any difference. The main thing is your LC-LC patch cable should be, at least, OM3.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Wii App

Leo,

Please qualify "won't make any difference"

If the connector is not ATEX or IECEx approved it cannot be used in a potentially explosive area (Exe enclosure)

Any one out there who has connected LC ended patch leads within an explosive area without using a powered switch?

Hi Andrew, 

Did you got any solution to your requirement, i am looking for EXE ethernet patch panel to connect two ethernet patch cord back to back in hazardous area environment.

Do let me know if you have any suggestions.

Regards Meraj Khan

Hi,

You can use TFOCA-II ® 12-channel plug to connect Exd enclosure to outside and use optical convertor LC-to-TFOCA-II inside Exd box. Optical systems TFOCA-II is ATEX certified:

http://www.amphenol.com/about/news_archive/2009/67

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco