Views
Helpful
Replies

MIXED Types FIBER

ahmedsalahomar
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new in Fiber Optics field, and I have a case which need your advice

Is it possible to install a connector on fiber cable when both is from different brands.

I mean like in my case can I install a Hotmelt 3M connector on Legrand Multimode OM3 fiber cable.

all replies will be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

Both of them can be different brands but should be of same type like OM3 is a 50micron cable so the connector should also be 50micron.

You can use 62.5micron but you will not get the same distance it will be lesser than you will get for 50micron.

So you can mix different kind of Multimode BUT cannot mix single mode with multimode.

If your hotmelt 3M connector is 50micron you can use it without a problem and if it is made of OM3 fiber then it is best.

As said above dont worry if you dont know whehter the connector is made out of OM1, 2,3 cable.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes.

Just make sure you select the proper connector for your fiber you are using; singlemode (SM) or multimode (MM, 50 or 62.5 micron) and the jacketing diameter.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Looking at the 3M Hotmelt connector installation; it looks rather involved and subject to error (especially in polishing). You may want to look at other alternatives for connectorizing your fibers. It is best when the connectors are factory polished, especially for singlemode fibers.

There are many pre-polished connector options available as well as pre-terminated fiber optic modules. Factory made simplex and duplex jumpers are convenient and worry free.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco