cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ONS 15454 SDH with 2 ML cards connected to the same RPR

pdostal
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if I could connect 2 ML cards installed in the same ONS 15454 to the same RPR ring. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Yes, this works fine, no problem. You have to create a circuit from one ML card to the other ML card in the same node via CTC or CTM. I have done this several times.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Yes, this works fine, no problem. You have to create a circuit from one ML card to the other ML card in the same node via CTC or CTM. I have done this several times.

Thanks! I appreciate your help.

odotospwireless
Level 1
Level 1

What if one ML card is a 1000 and the other is a

100. How do you actually create the circuit?

I have looked in CTC and I don't see the methodology.

Thanks

Bob,

You are building to the POS interfacese on the Backplane of the ML card so it doesn't matter if they are both ML1000's or ML100's or a Mix of ML100 and ML1000, you build the circuit the same way, just build from POS0 of one card to POS1 of the next card, then configure your RPR as you normally would for an ML100 or ML1000.

Aaron Reed

Carrier Escalation - Cisco Optical TAC

Only one POS port is available on the ML1000 and no POS ports are open on the ML 100-12T. In our network the 2 POS ports on the ML-100 correspond to our OC3 microwave north bound and south bound. Another east bound POS on the ML 1000 is what I am attempting to to connect to the existing north/south network.

Bob,

If you are wanting to tie the ML100 and the ML1000 into the same RPR Ring, then you have do do it with the POS interfaces.

For Example:

ML 100 POS 0   - North  Microwave

ML 100 POS 1   - connect RPR to ML 1000 POS 0

ML 1000 POS 1 - South Microwave

North Microwave connects RPR to South Microwave

This creates a single Loop or Ring

It sounds like you are using your ML1000 as a Spur to another location.  In order to create an RPR ring, you must have the cards physically connected to each other in a continuous ring.

Aaron Reed

Carrier Escalation - Cisco Optical TAC

So then the only way to tie a spur in

to the ring is to physi

cally create a connection through

an external router/switch between the two ML cards fast ether

net ports? The reason I ask is that at some of our microwave sites we may not be dropping any traffic. It may simply pass thru the 15454 on its way to another location but we may have multiple spurs entering the same location.

Thanks

Yes, that is correct.  Since you are running an RPR, you have to connect all of the cards together to form

a ring using the POS interfaces.

Thank you for the clarification.