cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Optical transmission reach in the SONET standards

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

In SONET interface classification, the transmission distance for SR is only 2km. However, in the Bellcore GR253 document, it estimates OC48 1310 nm can transmit 12km. If I buy a transceiver which is specified as OC48 SR but also GR253 compliant, what kind of distance can I actually transit ? 2km or 12km ?

2 Replies 2

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

The amount of distance a given laser can transmit depends on the type of laser, output power, linewidth, and so forth. SR lasers are meant for shorter distances, so if it's rated at 2km that's all you can count on getting.

I don't have the GR253 document but I suspect it's talking about 1310nm transmission at OC48 speeds in general -- different lasers will have different specifications, however.

pvarney
Level 1
Level 1

Do an optical link budget. min transmit power - min receiver sensitivty = budget. budget - fiber loss, connector / splice loss, end of life / maintenance margin = will play / will not play ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: