cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

point to point via fiber

cisco96050
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all, I really need your help if we can buy a product from CISCO to solve the issue. We will use fiber cable from the nearest POP to our customer building, but we need a special equipments at both sides to carry the PSTN POTS and E1 from the POP to the customer building. Any thoughts will be really appreciated

B Regards

Salem

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not aware of any standalone Cisco product that would do this conversion. Cisco only does such conversions incidentally as part of a much larger SONET or SDH multiplexer solution.

I'd recommend you look at a specialty product from a company that serves this market specifically. Somthing like this Omnitron product - link.

Thanks alot for the advice MR. Marvin, I will look at it.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You didn't mention how many POTS and E1 lines you needed.  Are the POTS circuits riding over the E1 line?  

Marvin mentioned using 3rd party media converters; Transition networks has devices that support POTS and E1; unfortunately not over the same fiber pairs. 

Cisco Optical solutions do not support POTS inputs, only down to T1/E1. 

Could you use a router, such as a 2900, installed with POTS and E1 hardware interface cards to transport over GE port using fiber SFP? 

Here is below some points may help:

1. The fiber cable length will be 4 ~ 5 KMs long, Single Mode.
  2. The required number of E1 links = 10 E1 will be connected to other company branches.
  3. The number of PSTN Analoge POTS = 10 lines.

We will love the solution if the CISCO 2800/2900 series will solve the issue.

Thanks alaot for your attention and care

B Regards

Salem

Another option would be to use a pair of 15302 Systems to transport the 10 E1 services over singlemode fiber. Adding a Channel Bank to each 15302 and using an additional E1 circuit, you will be able to transport the 10 Analog POTS lines. 

Using this type of solution adds two additional users management systems. 

There are probably other 3rd party Access Multiplexers on the market that can transport E1 and POTS in the same chassis.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: