Views
Helpful
Replies

protection type for two nodes, two oc-48

guwb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We have two ONS 15454 nodes that connected by two OC-48 from different vendor. I need some help to choose the protection type.

We only have one MRC-12 card per node. so 1+1 is not working for us because that is card protection. What else options do I have? Is there any protection for the port level on the same card?

Thanks,

WG

7 Replies 7

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have DCC interconnectivity between the 15454s over the OC-48 links from the two vendors?

The OC-48 links to the two vendors would each be unprotected.  When you create a circuit from one 15454 to the other, the circuit would be set-up to use Path Protection (this is the default when creating a circuit). The Path Protection takes the input at 15454 #1 and bridges it, creating two circuits; one would traverse one OC-48 link and one would traverse the 2nd OC-48 link.  At 15454 #2, the two circuits are received on the two OC-48 ports and come together in a switch (in the cross-connect card), which determines which path to use (which has a better signal quality) and connects it to the output port.

Using only one OC-N card in each node creates a single point of failure. So the system would only be able to correct for a link failure (single fiber break, one vendor's network down, etc.).  Instead of using a 12-port MRC card, a 4-port MRC or a single OC-48 port card would be more appropriate.

Review the user documents for info on Path Protection or PPMN (Path Protected Mesh Networking). 

Thanks for the quick answer. That is hardware we had now so I can only design based on this.

Let's assume the DCC is working now.

Would path protect also works for VCAT circuit? I cannot find the option when I create a VCAT circuit.

If the DCC is not working, i am thinking to create server trails between these two node. Then create a open-ended VCAT on both sides. Will that work and what is switching time if one fiber fails?

Each VCAT member would be a path protected circuit. If a fiber failed, <50msec is typically the switch time.  

I cannot find any document details the path protection. Do you mind show me the link or some of the screenshot for creating a path protection circuit?

And what if DCC is not working? Can I still use path protection?

Thanks a lot.

WG

I did a test in the lab using open vcat configuration. The circuit showed as protected.

But the switching time is longer than 50ms. Based on my ping test, when i unplug one OC-48, it lost about 2 -3 packets which means the failover is about 4-6 seconds.

You may be adding switching delays at a higher ISO layer delay.  I believe you would have to test the switching time with a BER tester, such as in the below reference paper.

http://www.jdsu.com/productliterature/aps_wp_opt_tm_ae_0306.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: