Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

PSM switchover

- two M6 terminal nodes, each node has 1 SMR1, 1 OPT17-AMP (used as booster), 1 PSM, 1 OTU2-TXP

- PSM is used on each terminal to protect the outside plant

- PSM COM goes to booster, PSM W goes to outside plant 1, PSM P goes to outside plant 2

- PSM is provisioned in STANDALONE mode

- I just noticed that Protect path is active and I want to switch it back to Working path

- Working path has good signal

- At this time, I only have one OCH TRAIL lambda carrying one OCHCC betwen two OTU2 TXPs (10GE service)

Under Maintenance > Protection, two questions for if I switch from Protect to Working using "MANUAL" button:

1. Will the far end also switch? What's the delay?

2. How much of an outage should I expect for my customer's 10GE service?

1 REPLY

Re: PSM switchover

1. The far end will switch.  The PSM provides only bidirectional non-revertive switching.  The switch will occur within seconds of you applying the state change.  The far end switch will occur within milliseconds.  The entire event is supposed to occur within 50 ms.  A user-applied switch is more elegant and less disruptive than one caused by a line outage.

2. If the connected devices interfaces can tolerate a 50 ms event without dropping, then no interface outage would be observed.  In practice though, I've observed that it's not uncommon for router interfaces to drop and restore from the impact, a cycle lasting from 4 to 10 seconds.  I would inform the customer that their device interfaces may bounce.

Remember that you will need to clear the manual switch state (CLEAR button, then APPLY) after the switch occurs.  Otherwise, the card will remain in a manual switch to working state.

Aside: why is the card in standalone mode?  Just to avoid the internal patch cords?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content