Views
Helpful
Replies

Resilient Packet Ring over 3rd Party Network

pbelletty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

All the Cisco documentation I have seen shows RPRs implemented over 15454s physical ring topologies.

Would anyone know whether it is possible to run a Resilient Packet Ring between 15454s where the interconnection between nodes is over a third party SDH network. The physical topology of the 3rd party network is unknown.

Cheers,

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Phil,

yes, it should be possible. RPR needs a ring topology. The transport between two RPR ethernet cards (ML cards) is possible over any SDH network. Normally you would connect the 15454 nodes over STM-16/64 togehther, but you can connect the 15454 SDH interfaces to a third party SDH network. You need only for example a VC4-8c path through the 3rd party network.

It would be good, if the 3rd party network can tunnel the Cisco ONS management protocol, so you have end to end management of the 15454 nodes.

I hope this helps. Please rate all posts.

Cheers

Rene

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Phil,

yes, it should be possible. RPR needs a ring topology. The transport between two RPR ethernet cards (ML cards) is possible over any SDH network. Normally you would connect the 15454 nodes over STM-16/64 togehther, but you can connect the 15454 SDH interfaces to a third party SDH network. You need only for example a VC4-8c path through the 3rd party network.

It would be good, if the 3rd party network can tunnel the Cisco ONS management protocol, so you have end to end management of the 15454 nodes.

I hope this helps. Please rate all posts.

Cheers

Rene

Thanks Rene

That was extremely helpful. Just two follow up questions:

a) Physically the topology does not have to be a ring. The only proviso is that the 15454s must be connected in a ring via SDH circuits. Is that correct?

b) You mention ONS management protocol - Does the RPR protocol need the DCC channel to operate? I know the Shared Packet Ring uses the DCC channel I though the RPR protocol did not? Obliged if you could confirm.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil,

a) Yes, you are right. The physical topology is independent of the RPR ring. You can insert a spoke node in a RPR with both circuits for the ML card on the same STM link for example.

b) I don't know, we don't have such a configuration in our networks. Sorry.

Cheers

Rene