Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Server Trail Usage and Behavior

I am looking for detailed documentation of Server Trails in the ONS15454 at Rel 7.0.

5 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Server Trail Usage and Behavior

Release 7.0. it is called Server Trail. Before going there, I would like to understand your rationale for going that route. Have you experienced any DCC congestion symptoms? I would normally recommend server trails only when necessary, ie large networks with hundreds of nodes. There are a lot of other (better) options before going to server trails.

In my architecture I have a long haul sonet provider between two of my 454 nodes. The reason that I am trying to use server trail(s) is that the sonet provider is not supporting DCC pass through nor tunneling. I am trying to implement a server trail because it looks like it would support my desire to use the CTC for end to end provisioning without having to build a circuit in two seperate pieces.

Is this an incorrect application for a server trail ?

Also, a question that is not clear from the documentation:

Does a server trail create a DCC communications pathway for DCC information within the payload of the DS-3 or OC-x or does it just create a logical link on the CTC display ?

RPC

Its a logical link - end-to-end IP connectivity is still required.

Server tails is the only way we were able to deploy ONS15310 accross third party Mux's and manage via CTC. Our privisoning was 3- STS's accross a "non chanelized" OC3- In other words in this case we had to make sure the OC3 was non-concatitated STS-1's. Some running around time with the Telco to make sure his equip. was set bi-directional, revertive and so-forth. It does work so far.

Good luck

Cisco Employee

A server trail is a non-DCC link across a third-party network that connects two CTC network domains.

It will allow A-Z routing even across non-CTC networks in Mariner (7.0).

Based on ITU-T G.805 : Architecture of Transport Networks.

In Future : To connect 153xx edge CTPs.

Available for both SDH and SONET clouds, but not mixed.

Server Trails can take any circuit size (sts1, vt1.5, sts3c ..).

The end ports of a server trail can be of different types (OC12 port to OC3 port, etc.).

- Server trails is a logical mapping between specific timeslots on OC/STM cards installed in different NEs without direct DCC connectivity.

- It is used to easily create circuts between nodes that are not directly connected via DCC or link traversing 3rd party network.

- Server trails do not create any circuit by itself. Once you have configured a Server trail between two NE, you will then be able to use A-Z provisioning to create circuits (same sizes of your server trail).

- No signaling is actually exchanged by terminating NEs to allow any sort of out of band transport of Overhead Bytes.

- Only UPSR or SNCP protection is available on Server trails.

No possibility to create BLSR or MS-SPR rings, this is prevented by SW; You need to have DCC enabled in order to configure BLSR or MS-SPR on a specific STM or OC card.

- No possibility to have PCA ( Protection Channel Access) over Server Trails. PCA is available only for BLSR or MS-SPR rings.

- UNPROTECTED, FULLY PROTECTED, PREEMPTIBLE are weighting flags used for path determination when a circuit is created.

If you have two leased line protecting one to each other, you need to create two UNPROTECTED Server trails, one for each line.

If you create a PROTECTED Server trail, CTC assume that the circuits going out from that specific port will be protected by Provider network and will not look for a secondary path from source to destination.

-You can create multiple server trails from the same port.

The maximum number is determined by how many circuits of a particular server trail size can be supported on the port.

A Server Trail link will only route circuits of the same size as the connection size of the ServerTrail.

- No specific documentation on Server is available for end customer a part from information included in ONS15454 reference manual and procedure guides:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/products_technical_reference_chapter09186a00804f8dea.html#wp126242

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804f8da1.html#wp671133

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content