cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Mini-GBIC for Catalyst 2960

evelasquez
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking at getting the SFP Mini-GBIC from HP HP-J4858C.  This transceiver module is Gigabit-SX-LC Mini-GBIC.  Will this module work on our Catalyst 2960 PoE switches and will it also work using a MultiMode fiber?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Only Cisco SFP modules will work on Cisco appliance.

What is the total distance of the fibre optic run you are using?

Max Length is 1900 feet.

1900 feet.  You should be looking at GLC-LH-SM.

Just to warn you, the GLC-LH-SM is about to be end-of-sale so I would recommend you consider looking at the GLC-LH-SMD instead.

The actual Run of the longest fiber is actually 1790 feet. Will a Multi Mode GBIC still be useful even though we are getting close to the max distance of (550 m = 1804 feet)? We have about 14 feet of wiggle room. Will this give us a problem?

Kind Regards,

Eddie

I've used non-Cisco GBICs successfully in Cisco gear. In the event of a problem related to the link, the TAC MAY refer you back to the HP or suggest using a Cisco transceiver.

Running a multimode connection that close to the length limit is not the best idea but if that's all you have installed (and you can't get a single mode link installed) then it is what it is. A single mode GBIC WILL NOT operate over multimode fiber.

The high level specs cite distance but the real indicator of usability is better characterized by loss. As long as you getting adequate light levels at the receiver, you will be OK. Problem is, it's not easy to tell light levels (on a non-SMD type transceiver such as Leo suggested) without some relatively costly measurement equipment.

I agree with Marvin.  Check what is your fibre optic backbone.  If it's single-mode then you need to use single-mode.