cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Module - Need Clarification

PhilattheKart
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently trying to connect two Cisco Small Business switches via the mini-GBIC ports/SFP module/singlemode fiber.

I have an SG300-52 and SG30028. I ordered two MGBBX1s because I (misunderstood?) their purpose. I had read this chart:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_qanda_item09186a0080abed87.shtml

It lists the TX/RX of the MGBBX1 as 1310/1490 which I thought meant that the module can both transmit and receive. When I got the actual MGBBX1 SFPs they have only "1310nm" printed on them and the Quick Start Guide says they are upstream only! It also states to use a GLC-BX-D as the downstream module which I can't even confirm is compatible with the small business series.

I have never set up an optical network before. I have a singlemode fiber cable strung between two buildings already and have paid a few thousand dollars to get to this point only to find the MGBBX1 may not be the right SFP for this.

Can someone please direct me to the correct SFPs for this application?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A pair of MGBLX1 SFPs would be the model to use.  This supports singlemode fiber to 10km. 

I have to say that the documentation is definitely not clear for the MGBBX1 SFP.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A pair of MGBLX1 SFPs would be the model to use.  This supports singlemode fiber to 10km. 

I have to say that the documentation is definitely not clear for the MGBBX1 SFP.

Glad to know I'm not the only one confused by that.

After reviewing the MGBLX1 it is clear that this is the route I need to go. The specific listing of a "DUPLEX LC CONNECTOR" gives me confidence.

Thank you for the help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: