Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Transmit Only operation with an SFP

I have to setup a one-way UDP connection between two routers using fiber. I am currently using separate tranceivers to make the one-way connection. I would like to use the SFPs in my 3750 L3 switch to make the connection, but the interfaces will not come up unless they are connected bi-directionally (both fibers). Is there a parameter/configuration that will make the SFP transmit without a receive signal?

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Transmit Only operation with an SFP

I think you have to Use only SFPs certified for use in Cisco Optical Networking Systems. SFPs are integrated fiber optic transceivers that provide high-speed serial links from a port or slot to the network. For more information please click following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps4533/products_technical_reference_chapter09186a008072b926.html#wp327205

Re: Transmit Only operation with an SFP

Thank you for the response and the link. I also heard back from my local Cisco engineer, and as I had surmised, SFPs are not capable of doing one-way traffic - just not built that way - never intended to be - so I will use my "dumb" tranceivers for this application.

Views
Helpful
Replies