cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two new circuits, only one working.

sross35
Level 1
Level 1

For this discussion I have two nodes. One 7206 off of Node A and 2 7206s off of Node B. All 3 routers are in the same subnet. Two circuits from Node A / Slot 17 Ethernet to 2 separate Node B / Slot 1 and 16 G.Ethernet cards for each router.

When both circuits are turned up I get a response from one router off of the Node B routers but not the other. I swapped cards and cables at the B end so that I know it's not the equipment. There is a BLSR between A and B.

Any help appreciated, Thanks.

ONS 15454s, code 4.16

6 Replies 6

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

how are the two circuits connected to router A? What ethernet cards do you use?

Is the state of circuit 2 up? Okay, you checked that already;-)

Cheers

Rene

Hi

As Rene rightly pointed out on the router you may need to check out the media type set on the port installed in the Cisco 7206 router.

You can configure the port either as rj 45 or gbic make sure its configured as gbic to have your connectivity up..

regds

Hi,

yes, but I think the problem is 15454 side. What I want to know is the type of ethernet card in 15454. There are 3 cards, which work completely different.

G-series cards are point to point, so there is no L2 connection between the two circuits. Has the router A two interfaces for each circuit? But this is impossible, the router could not have two interfaces in the same subnet. So, in this case use two P2P subnets and the router could route between the circuits.

ML cards (or the old E series) have a L2 switch inside. So it's possible to configure the ports in node A in a L2 vlan if the two circuits end on the same card. Or if the two circuits end on different cards, then configure a third cicuit between this two ML (or E series) cards.

So, to help I need more information.

Cheers

Rene

sross35
Level 1
Level 1

The gateway rtr on the A end is connected via FE to a e100-12 card. The two router interfaces at the other end of each circuit are GE connected to separate E1000-2 cards.

At the moment, I am leaning towards spanning-tree being the issue with the same subnet on circuit as Rene pointed out. I will try the second subnet this afternoon. Thanks.

What is the difference of spanning tree being checked or not when creating the circuit vs. spanning tree checked or not at the port level?

Hi,

spanning tree not checked when creating a circuit should disable the STP on the ports. After circuit creation you can change STP on the port level, but it does the same.

I had in the past also a lot of problems with STP on e-series cards. As I remember it's a good idea to use a new vlan, because this creates sometimes a new STP process. The problem is you can't reload the STP process without reload the TCC, because STP process is running on the TCC.

Cheers

Rene

Thanks,

I did speak with Cisco and there is a limitation to the circuits created on a single eseries card with the same vlan because of the STP process. Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: