Views
Helpful
Replies

uplinks - Fiber to Ethernet converters

BINU KR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to use Fiber to Ethernet converters for all 25 uplinks and will connect to WS-C3750X-48PF-S.

I had  WS-C3750X-24S-E in mind but needed copper connections as well to connect the routers and a few other systems.

Is it a good idea to use these converters for all the uplinks or should I consider WS-C4506-E?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You may want to look at the 4500-X too. They work great as a distribution switch. Personally I would stay away from media convertors. It's just one more thing to fail and the majority of them have little visibility when something does go wrong. However if you do decide to go with them I would look at Transition Networks.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why don't you use a WS-C3750X-24S?

Thanks Leo for the reply.

I have 25 fiber uplinks and a few copper connections from this switch.

I have 25 fiber uplinks and a few copper connections from this switch.

If you are currently using the WS-C3750X-24PF, then you can get a WS-C3750X-24S and stack it.  Terminate 24 ports of fibre into the 24S and get the extra expansion module to terminate the last fibre link.

Thanks Leo for the stacking idea. This is a new site and I am planning this as a core switch.

You may want to look at the 4500-X too. They work great as a distribution switch. Personally I would stay away from media convertors. It's just one more thing to fail and the majority of them have little visibility when something does go wrong. However if you do decide to go with them I would look at Transition Networks.

Goog advice Colin - the 4500X is a very nice core/distribution switch for a medium size building. We've put them in as VSS pairs in several sites and they're well-suited for the task.

I also agree that media converters should be avoided where possible.

Thanks Collin. I was exactly looking for the reliability part of converter.

Your answer helps me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: