Views
Helpful
Replies

Veriyfing Power Levels via CTC

techinneed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am looking to find out the different ways to check power levels of the different wavelengths using CTC.  When I cable up the different optics on the CE devices, I want to be able to log into the CTC and check to make sure the power levels are correct and not showing -40dB.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here are the steps for each card. Hope this helps you out. If you have any questions on the steps just let me know.

40WSS

-Double click on the 40WSS card in CTC

-Go to provisioning tab. There will be 5 optical connector tabs(8 wavelengths per tab). Scroll to the right to see the wavelengths for each tab.

-Once you find the wavelength and which optical connector tab you should be on scroll to the right to find the Power ADD column(i.e. 4.1) for the wavelength. This is the power coming into the card from the MD-40 panel.

-Do this for each wavelength you are working on. You'll see the power ADD levels change as you change to different wavelengths.

40WXC

-This one is a little tricky but can be done

-First thing you want to do is create a OCHNC(DCN) circuit for the wavelength you are working on. This creates an internal circuit from your 40WXC card to the line. This will allow you to view what is coming into the 40WXC from the MD-40.

-Create circuit under circuit tab

-select OCHNC. Next

-Type in name of circuit(i.e. test1)

-select the wavelength you are working on(i.e. 1530.33nm)

-make sure the OCHNC DCN check box is selected

-leave all other value and checkboxes defaulted

-Next

-Select your node

-Select the slot with your 40WXC. Click Next

-On the next screen select the same node

-The remainder of the page should auto fill with your line cards. Click Finish

-After the circuit is built double click on the 40WXC card you are working on

-Go to the provisioning tab

-Go to the OCH tab below

-You should see the circuit you just made with its wavelength. You will also see the power value. This is the value going into the 40WXC from the MD-40.

-Delete the circuit you made and then move onto the next circuit/wavelength starting over for each one.

SMR(1 or 2)

-Double click on SMR card in CTC

-Go to Maintenance Tab

-Go to Wavelength Power tab below

-Choose ADD-Rx for the port near the bottom of the page

-Scroll through the wavelengths to find the one you are working on. You may have to hit the retrieve button to refresh the power levels

Thanks,

Ryan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ryan Gadwood
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't believe there is a way to check the power levels on CE cards with the CTC software. Best bet would be to use a light meter to verify light(within hardware specifications) before going into the card. With most other cards you can check either by going to the maintenance/transceiver tab or going to performance/Optics PM tab withing CTC. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Ryan

There is a way to check the power levels coming into the MD-ODD shelves.

If I connect a single mode fiber jumper to an SFP 46.92 optic in my Cisco

switch into an MD-ODD shelf 46.92 port, I can see on CTC what the power

levels are from that optic.

I have seen other engineers check this, but I forgot where within CTC they

look. This way the engineers know if they receive a -6.05 dB reading, the

port is ready to have a circuit built.

Does this make sense?

Thanks1

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM, rgadwood <

I understand what you are referring to now. The level you are looking for is your MUX input power and can vary depending what type of MSTP card you have i.e. SMR, WSS, WXC.

Do you know what type of MUX card you are using 40-WSS or 40-WXC? I am assuming you are using a 40 channel card considering you mentioned the MD-40-ODD. The retrieval information you are looking for is different for both cards.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks for the reply. That is the thing, I do not know which card we have.

I am sure though we use all three you listed before. Which card would

show me what I am looking for and how would I get there?

Thanks again!

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM, rgadwood <

Here are the steps for each card. Hope this helps you out. If you have any questions on the steps just let me know.

40WSS

-Double click on the 40WSS card in CTC

-Go to provisioning tab. There will be 5 optical connector tabs(8 wavelengths per tab). Scroll to the right to see the wavelengths for each tab.

-Once you find the wavelength and which optical connector tab you should be on scroll to the right to find the Power ADD column(i.e. 4.1) for the wavelength. This is the power coming into the card from the MD-40 panel.

-Do this for each wavelength you are working on. You'll see the power ADD levels change as you change to different wavelengths.

40WXC

-This one is a little tricky but can be done

-First thing you want to do is create a OCHNC(DCN) circuit for the wavelength you are working on. This creates an internal circuit from your 40WXC card to the line. This will allow you to view what is coming into the 40WXC from the MD-40.

-Create circuit under circuit tab

-select OCHNC. Next

-Type in name of circuit(i.e. test1)

-select the wavelength you are working on(i.e. 1530.33nm)

-make sure the OCHNC DCN check box is selected

-leave all other value and checkboxes defaulted

-Next

-Select your node

-Select the slot with your 40WXC. Click Next

-On the next screen select the same node

-The remainder of the page should auto fill with your line cards. Click Finish

-After the circuit is built double click on the 40WXC card you are working on

-Go to the provisioning tab

-Go to the OCH tab below

-You should see the circuit you just made with its wavelength. You will also see the power value. This is the value going into the 40WXC from the MD-40.

-Delete the circuit you made and then move onto the next circuit/wavelength starting over for each one.

SMR(1 or 2)

-Double click on SMR card in CTC

-Go to Maintenance Tab

-Go to Wavelength Power tab below

-Choose ADD-Rx for the port near the bottom of the page

-Scroll through the wavelengths to find the one you are working on. You may have to hit the retrieve button to refresh the power levels

Thanks,

Ryan

You are the man Ryan!  I will try this again using your instructions.

Thanks again!