cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What could cause my SFP-10G-LR module faulty?

Foo Chuan Soon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SFP-10G-LR module that running fine 3750x switch, but one day without any symptom the SFP not running, from the log it was show link down that is all, no power failure also. So what possible that will cause the module failure?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unless the SFP's receive optical input level was too high; by attaching a higher output long-reach transceiver or an optically amplified signal, there isn't much you can do to damage the transceiver; outside of physical abuse (dropping the device or exposing it to high-humidity or water). Like any manufactured product, there will always be failures; thus the reason for product warranties and spares inventories.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How do you know the SFP+ is down due to fault?

Are you sure the SFP+ is inserted properly?  Due to heat and vibration the SFP+ could literally "slide" out.

What is the output to the command "sh interface status"?

the interface status show down down, not connected. And i can sure it is inserted properly, i have remove and insert for several time but still the same result, even i plugged it to other port, still the same. I even run show inventory after i insert it, it was showing the correct information and detected by the switch, but still not able bring the link up, Once i insert a new SFP into the same port, without changing any config, the link immediate up.

Ok.  RMA the module.  There's nothing else you can do.

so it is my bad luck that cause the module faulty? any other possibility that will cause it faulty?

Unless the SFP's receive optical input level was too high; by attaching a higher output long-reach transceiver or an optically amplified signal, there isn't much you can do to damage the transceiver; outside of physical abuse (dropping the device or exposing it to high-humidity or water). Like any manufactured product, there will always be failures; thus the reason for product warranties and spares inventories.