cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the core size of a G.652 compatible fiber?

vbuendia
Level 1
Level 1

We need to link two 6500 switches with multiple 10Gbps links.

The distance is about 2 miles (about 3.2Km) give and take.

We have WS-X6708-10G-3C blades using X2-10GB-LR adapters.

The fiber specs for the adapter require a core size of "G.652" to be able to support long distances.

Does anyone know what the core size of G.652 is? Is this a unique size?

I am thinking about 8.3/125 but I am not sure.

I will appreciate any help or suggestions.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

yes ur thinking is right its core size is 8-9 micrometer. G.652 is standard for single mode fiber(SMF) and u need SMF between the 2 locations to link 2 6500switches.

View solution in original post

You can use any singlemode fiber and patchchords if the supplier say it is as per G.652.

Dont worry about the core size is between 8-10 micrometer from different providers. as u wrote specifically 8.3 so just want to bring to ur notice.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

yes ur thinking is right its core size is 8-9 micrometer. G.652 is standard for single mode fiber(SMF) and u need SMF between the 2 locations to link 2 6500switches.

Thank you for your answer. I was looking for some re-assurance since no provider gave me any specs linked to G.652. Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

You can use any singlemode fiber and patchchords if the supplier say it is as per G.652.

Dont worry about the core size is between 8-10 micrometer from different providers. as u wrote specifically 8.3 so just want to bring to ur notice.

Ha! Funny! the vendor told me he only had 9u and I immediately stated that there was no issue (8-10). Thanks for you answer it was very useful.

Glad to know that the info was useful.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

viyuan700 answered your question already but just for your reference, Cisco has an book on optical technologies. The following link gives you a quick and handy reference of fiber types with reference to ITU-T specs (such as G.652).

Fiber Types

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=170740&seqNum=7

Thanks for the refference. I am looking into it.

abdulazeezo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The fiber spec "G.625" is use for SM fiber with core size of 9/125.

regards.

Thanks for your answer. I was looking to get some re-assurance before placing a big order. Seems like everything is working fine after our install.

vbuendia,

Do me a favor and give viyuan700 a rating if you are satisfied with the assistance.

Glad to hear the network is working well!

Thanx!

baileyshbr,

Thanks to you & vbuendia for the ratings.

More than rating i would like to appreciate that vbuendia came back and posted his network is working well.

This way this forum becomes useful for guys who visit in future.

The G.652 spec makes people nervous because it says it is optimized for 1310nm wave. And we all know that 1310nm is the cheap, short distance, SFP, compared to the expensive 1550nm optical devices. 

The confusion stems from the engineering problem of dispersion-compensation-in-the-fiber that is still not solved in Corning or anywhere. We are still working around the problem by using 1310nm fiber for the 1550nm devices. 

Nature or god poses the engineering problem on us of electrodynamics quantum physics. Maybe extra dimensions hidden in the smallest scale of things. No people are responsible for the confusion. 

fiberstorejames
Level 1
Level 1

The core size of G.652 is the standard single-mode fiber. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: