cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

X2-10GB-LR can operate only on 10G - Is this True?

hlau_telstra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I was told by a Cisco CSE that X2-10GB-LR can operate only on 10G?!

My intention is to upgrade 1G switchport (currently using GCL-LH-SM transceiver)to 10G switchport (X2-10GB-LR transceiver) on a Cat6k running SMOF cable to connect to our peer Cat6k switch on a 1G switchport using GCL-LH-SM transceiver, Will this work?

Or I can't do this unless I upgrade both side of the Cat6k switchport to Te with X2-10GB-LR transceiver on the same change?

3 Replies 3

supoonia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The X2-10GB-LR is a fully integrated 10.3Gbit/s optical transceiver module that consists of a 10.3Gbit/s optical transmitter and receiver,The X2-10GB-LR is a fully integrated 10.3Gbit/s optical transceiver module that consists of a 10.3Gbit/s optical transmitter and receiver,

The Cisco 10GBASE-LR Module supports a link length of 10 kilometers on standard single-mode fiber (SMF, G.652).

Wavelength : 1310nm; cable distance : 10Kms, recevier senstivity : -14dBm, max tx : 0.5dBm.

and yes it is .... only 10G.

i don't think if you connect a 10G with 1G will work.

you should upgrade both interfaces to 10Gig.

http://www.optone.net/Private/ProductFiles/110401145258125.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6574/product_data_sheet0900aecd801f92aa.html

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Optical transceivers (X2, SFP, etc.) do not negotiate the speed, as does an electrical interface.  Thus, if you want to upgrade from 1G to 10G, you need to update the optical transceiver modules at both ends.  Some equipment has transceiver slots that will work with either 1G or 10G optical transceivers, and others may not.  Check the user guides and transceiver compatibility documents to confirm if your equipment will support the two speeds. If not, you may have to upgrade equipment.   

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom and Sunil have it right.

Fiber transceivers are fixed speed. Both ends have to match.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: