Views
Helpful
Replies

NEED UGENT HELP WITH OC-12 AND ONS 15454

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

I am fairly new to optical networking and working on a project. I would appreciate if someone could help me undersstand a few things.

1)The customer has OC-12 in a dual ring setting. Does that mean that he is 622 Megs in both directions (second ring for redundancy orcourse). or the total bandwidth is divided into 50-50 so he gets only 311 Mbegs of usable bandwidth????

2) I was looking at a digram and say that he has STS 1-3, 4-6, 7-8, etc choosen as circuits. I am slightly confussed. Cause his STS count goes upto 48. I thought OC-12 comprises of 12 OC-1 or STS-1. E

ach STS-1 is equvalent to OC-1 which is about 51 Megs, then where are they getting 48 STSs from??? any ideas????

Thanks

2 Replies 2

akiramot
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We need more info in order to answer properly your questions. Is this a OC12 BLSR or UPSR Ring ? If his STS count goes up to 48, he does not have a OC12, but a OC48. Can you draw a topology for us ? (e.g

Node1 -- OC12 -- Node 2

\----------------/

thanks for the response. It is a USR ring.

On the sonet ring we have 8 ONS 15454 boxes. They have 1 central site and 7 remote sites. Mojority of the Circuits go from the central site to the remote sites. Only a few circuits (STS) go from a so called remote site to a remote site. Also, we have 6500 hooked up behind every ONS box that does the routing. Is this an optinal design??