cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What's best to use for 10G Trunk Cabling

tgcnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

We are going to purchase a WS-C3850-12S-E fiber switch and trunk it to a WS-C3850-24T-E over 10G module add-ons.  The vendors are throwing out different options for cabling which is making me double guess myself.

Option 1: 1 SFP+ Active Optical Cable (cable with SFP+'s built in)

Option 2: 1 SFP+ Active Twinaxial Cable (cable with SFP+'s built in)

Option 3: 1 SFP+ Passive Twinaxial Cable (cable with SFP+'s built in)

Option 4: 2 10G SFP+ modules with separate optical cable

We do not run any other active fiber cabling so I think I can eliminate those options, Option 4 is the most expensive but is typically what I do when trunking with 1G fiber.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
We are going to purchase a WS-C3850-12S-E fiber switch and trunk it to a WS-C3850-24T-E over 10G module add-ons.

We do not run any other active fiber cabling so I think I can eliminate those options, Option 4 is the most expensive but is typically what I do when trunking with 1G fiber.

The statement in BLUE and the statement in GREEN contradict themselves.  

Whether or not you want 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps, fibre is the way to go.  What is missing is the distance between the two switches as long-haul fibre optic modules are double the price of a short-haul fibre optic modules.  

Another thing missing is the "thickness" of the cable.  A lot of fibre optic installers will try to give the cheapest option (if you don't know what you're asking for) so this means OM1 for short-haul or OS1 for long-haul.  

Personally, I would NOT touch a fibre link of OM1 or OS1 category.  For long-haul, it's got to be OS2 or none at all.  For short-haul fibre optics, it's OM4 for future-proofing (10- or 40 Gbps).

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your distance allows, the twinax with built-in SFP+'s work great. Shorter distance will use the passive ones and longer will use the active.

Anything at a distance beyond what is offered in the twinax should use option 4. I've never used (nor seen customers use) option 1.