cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

An API provided for solution interworking in CUCM

Byoungik Ahn
Level 1
Level 1

You want to configure automatic phone registration by synchronizing phone user information by linking CUCM with AD.

Is an API provided for solution interworking to automate phone registration in CUCM?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Everything can be made through the AXL API.
https://developer.cisco.com/docs/axl/#!what-is-axl

If you want more infos and probably examples, you should look at the DevNET Collaboration forum.

But there is no complete "solution" to connect AD to CUCM. You have to program it yourself.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

You can use the Self-Provisioning feature on CUCM to register phones based on AD  information.

The Self-Provisioning feature allows end users to provision their own phones for your network without contacting an administrator. If the system and the end user are both enabled for self-provisioning, the end user can plug the phone into the network and follow a few prompts to provision a new phone.

Response Signature

Byoungik Ahn
Level 1
Level 1

I'm thinking about that too, but I'm thinking about how to make all phone settings in AD automatically set up in CUCM.

Everything can be made through the AXL API.
https://developer.cisco.com/docs/axl/#!what-is-axl

If you want more infos and probably examples, you should look at the DevNET Collaboration forum.

But there is no complete "solution" to connect AD to CUCM. You have to program it yourself.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recommend evaluating dedicated provisioning products - Akkadian Labs, Kurmi, ZERO, Unimax, etc. - instead of trying to roll your own here. Akkadian, for example, supports auto-(de)provisioning based on LDAP or a northbound RESTful API if you want to tie it into a larger workflow. The time investment needed to figure out the AXL API and all of its oddities are almost certain to cost you so much time that buying a product ends up being cheaper.

nabilmassri
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with Jonathan. There are companies out there that their sole mission is to provide the best interoperability between CUCM & AD for both, auto provisioning and de-provisioning, in addition to other benefits like writing extensions back automatically to the AD. Doing something in-house might work for the short term, but it's not easy to maintain and Cisco's APIs keep changing, which it's an added hustle. I do recommend you give Kurmi a look.

My personal preference of the once that @Jonathan Schulenberg mentioned would be ZPC, Ziro Provisioning for Cisco by Ziro. We use that solution since a few years and it has been a game changer for us in terms of quality control of configuration and time saving for hours spent on configuration of devices in CM. In the product it has the option for Zero Day Provisioning and also deprovisioning that can be setup to take action on user add/removal in OUs in AD so that it can do automated deployment of devices that cater to that specific site’s needs. It also has a rich API that can be leveraged to do your own custom work so that you don’t need to dive into the deep pool of AXL APIs.

Response Signature

Well, those are some of the features that Kurmi provides too. I think that the current UC Provisioning & Management vendors are quite similar, and it comes down to price, flexibility, user experience, and support. On the other hand, there are other benefits that I think Ziro can't match Kurmi, like the rollback capability or the super-granular RBAC that Kurmi has. I usually trust Cisco's advice, and being Kurmi the only vendor in CCW and most of the times highly regarded and recommended by the Cisco TSAs says a lot.

It's free to choose whatever you prefer. When we did our market look at this before selecting ZPC, or SMACS as it was called then, we came to the conclusion that Kurmi at that point was not a match in comparison and the price tag for it was if I remember correctly significantly higher.

Response Signature