cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Netmeeting delay to IP phone

brendanadams
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running CCM3.05 and have encountered a delay (approx 1 sec) from IP phone (7960) to netmeeting 3.0 but not in the other direction. A Cat 3524 is between the PC and CCM all running at 100mb. Have tried all the obvious settings and codecs on both. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

kevan.jones
Level 1
Level 1

I was just at an IP telephony class run by Global Knowledge in which the instructor mentioned this phenomenon. It is brought about at the PC (Netmeeting) end of the link because of the 'extra" things a computer running NetMeeting has to do, like running an OS, managing other resources, etc. You experience the delay because there is no way to prioritize processing of one type of information over another on the typical PC. Windows NT/2000 may give you some control over this, but it is likely that much of the delay is introduced simply because of the overhead created by the PC having to run and organize a complex OS.

Win2K does give you QoS functions to resolve this for Network, including local stack and NIC. You might also experiment with manually changing the thread priorization of the conf.exe process on a fast, lab PC to determine if there's any effect. Note that when setting the priority to realtime values, everything else might get real slow.

h-mcginnis
Level 1
Level 1

are you using a media transfer point? is there compresion configured on the phone? i.e. g.711, g.729, etc.