cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

100 percent bandwidth usage

cyrilleg
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2 Cisco 2821-VK/9 routers between 2 offices. The connection between the 2 is a 2 Meg diginet line.

When ever I copy a file between the two sites that is more than 1 Gb in size, the bandwidth usage is 100 % and it takes a very long time to complete.

Could you please advice what I should do.

Regards

Cyril

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Increase bandwidth.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How long is very long?

If the file is 1 GB (gigbyte) in size, assuming you could transfer it at 2 Mbps, that would take over an hour (1 GB = 8,000 Mb / 2 Mbps / 60 sec/min = 67 minutes).

Actual transfer time would be longer due to L2/L3 overhead, and even longer it there's other traffic on link and/or there are packet drops.

Besides more bandwidth, you might decrease time if data is precompressed and/or there's repeat data caching on both sides (e.g. WAAS).

Paul Reck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cyril,

I'll assume since you're posting in the UC section that your question in some way relates to voice/video traffic on that link and perhaps not just to the length of time taken to copy large files.

you might want to consider implemented a QoS policy on your network if there isn't one already in place.

You can start with some light reading here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/5x/50nstrct.html#wp1043960

It won't make your 1Gb files copy faster but it can help stop them choking off your other network traffic.

regards,

Paul