Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2.46 and Exchange 2000

My company is currently running Unity 2.46 on Exchnage 5.5. This is the only mail server in the org. The company now wants to separate the single Exchange server with two new servers (one to handle only email and the other to handle only voicemail). Additianlly they want to run Exchange 2000 for email and do not want to upgrade Unity at this time.

I seem to recall that Unity 2.46 will not only not run on Exchange 2000, but will not even run on a 5.5 server connected to a 2000 server. In order to accomplish the goal would it be possible to setp these two Excnahe Servers completely independent from each other, or would Unity still balk. Would you have any recomendations on how to proceed with this type of migration?

Thank You

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 2.46 and Exchange 2000

You can keep them seperate and be OK... the problem comes in if you decide to use the Active Directory Connector on the Unity's Exchange 5.5 - the ADC isn't overly bright and does some _real_ nasty stuff to the directory data when it moves it back in and it'll trash the Unity data for 2.4.x - you can either not setup an ADC at all (which should be fine in your seperate system model) or if you do make sure the connection agreement is only going FROM the Exchange 5.5 server OUT to AD and not back - setting up these connection agreements can be tricky so be careful. I'd just steer clear entirely.

As long as all your voice mail users are on 5.5 here and you're not using an ADC, you'll be fine here.

My plan is this:

Backup the current Exchange server.

Run full database Export tool utility on the current 5.5 server

Run the uninstall utility to remove unity from the current 5.5 server

Build a new Exchange 2000 server.

Install ADC on the current 5.5 server.

Migrate all users to the new Exchange 2000 server.

Uninstall ADC.

Permentently remove the current 5.5 server from production.

Build a new 5.5 server with Unity installed. (does this need to be a separate org or site than the 200 server?)

Run the full database import utility.

Does this sould like a viable path?

Cisco Employee

Sure... if you're Exchange 5.5 system is seperate from your 2000 network there will be no problem here....

So I need to make it a separate Win2k domain?

Cisco Employee

No... if you don't install the ADC on the new 5.5 server you wont have any worries here. You can be in the same domain as the 2000 server.

Ok, that's what I though. I misinterpreted your comment that it needs to be separate from the 2000 network as meaning the windows 2000 and not exchange 2000.

As always you have been very helpful. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Paul

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content