cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 unity systems, one subsciber directory? Is it possible?

travis.turner
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 offices with 2 call manager systems (set up with AD integration and tool bypass extension dialing), and 2 unity 3.1 (2) systems. They are all in the same domain but the unity systems are attached to 2 differet exchange 2000 servers (the excchage servers are in the same orgainization and same AD). I was wondering if it was possble for both unitys to be aware of each others subscibers and have the capability to find them in their "dial by name" directory. I.E.... I call office A look up an individual who happens to be in office B, the unity A finds this substciber on unity system B and connects the call to the correct extension.

9 Replies 9

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can do this by putting both Unity servers into the same dialing domain... both auto attendant lookups and name lookup handler searches can be configured to include subscribers on both Unity servers.

Check out the Networking documentation for 3.1, it covers this scenario and some of it's limitations:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/net/net313gg/index.htm

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Yes this is possible if they are in the same Dialing Domain.

Check out the Digital Networking URL:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/net/net313gg/index.htm

Keith

Thanks for the link, I've got a couple questions though, I dont want to screw up the unitys, because I'm probably not smart enough to fix them.

Accounding to the doc I set up names for each system, added a greeting for each system. But I am not excactly sure what to enter for the Dial ID and the dialing domain under the addressing options. In the addressing options I selected "Global Directory"(subsciber and blind) for unity1 and for the other ( it is a slighty newer build) I selected "global address list" "(subsciber and blind).

All the extensions in the company are unique:

Unity1 all extensions are 4 digit and begin with a 1 I set the Dial ID to 1111

Unity 2 all wxtensions are 4 digit and begin with a 2 Iset the Dial ID to 2222

I take from the documentation that, dont need a dialing domain with this set up, but it does not seem to work. Do the dial ID's need to be valid extensions? Also do I need to use the extension address utility to update the subscibers after these changes? Will that break anything?

Sounds like the docs might need to be clarified just a bit. Anyway, the Dial IDs on the primary locations don't need to be valid extensions. And you don't need to use the extension address utility at all for Digital Networking (but if you ran it, it wouldn't break anything).

Try this. Enter a name (any name will do) in the dialing domain box on the primary location on Unity 1. Wait for the name to replicate in AD so that you can pick it from the dialing domain list on the primary location on Unity 2. Then on the addressing options page on both servers, select dialing domain. Also make sure directory handler searches on both servers are set to dialing domain.

Nancy

Wow, you are fantastic! that did the trick! Is there a location for docs that help me understand how the overall network integration should work and not work. I can seach and find users on either system, but I don't here the "location message" whick I have set to play. When should I hear that?

Glad that worked for you.

The only networking docs we have so far are the Networking Guide http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/net/index.htm and Jeff's Networking Overview doc on answer monkey http://www.answermonkey.net/.

By "location message", I'm assuming you mean the recorded voice name for the location. Make sure that in the SA on the Primary Location > Addressing Options page, you have select ed "Play location to subscriber as part of search results." You'll hear the location voice name when you enter the Dial ID (or spell the name) of one of the locations when addressing a message.

Nancy

I have the option set "Play location to subscriber as part of search results." I don't here the recording, any other place I might be missing somthing?

No, you aren't missing anything that I can think of. When you enter the Dial ID of a location during a message address search, Unity should play the recorded name.

Hmmm.. that is the only time the location recording should play?.... when a persons externsion is dialed from the main unity menu, or should it also play when they are located in the directory handler?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: