Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3.0(2) Install/Config Setup Issues.

1 x CCM Cluster <br>Exchange 5.5 servers in Domain A<br>Unity Baseline server in Domain B<br>UM setup (Exchange server not installed on Unity box, only Ex Admin + SP4)<br><br>Evening folks.<br>I'm having a few probs installing 3.0(2) (that'll be an understatement!). <br>1st tried installing on (what was then) a clean system from images that I'd created on a temp partition on the server. Created CD images no worries. 1st time ran setup went all the way through, swapped disks, last part of setup when it saves the config & runs the scripts just kept stopping. Had a message one time about not being able to config the SQL datab. Uninstalled, tried again, stopped again at the end saying it could not complete the install because of the following reason, but did not supply any reason!<br><br>Uninstalled. Installed 3.0(1) from orig cds. Then ran 3.0(2) images with 3.0(1) installed (haven't seen a procedure for this, in a live environment will this wipe the subscribers details, voicemails etc? or will existing data be preserved?) where was I? Setup tried stopping the AV services, and then install failed (message: you'll have to run this setup procedure again, with your eyes closed this time). I hadn't done the config setup at this stage so the AV services weren't started (only gateway) so I guess that's why it failed coz it couldn't stop the services that were already stopped. Anyway. So then I thought I'd try the below:<br><br>Uninstall Unity again. Installed 3.0(1) as normal/documented, went through Config Setup (I'll get to this) & installed the tsp. Then tried 3.0(2) setup from there, same.<br><br>Nothing really in the event logs giving me any incling as to why setup was stopping.<br>Ended up uninstalling tsp & unity again. Removed avaudio key from reg, removed & re-installed IIS, re-installed SQL & re-applied sp2.<br><br>Gambled on running the 3.0(2) setup straight from the images on the HDD, hold your breath, it payed off and the 1st part of setup went through as 3.0(1) usually does off the bat. <br><br>Onto part 2 of setup, Configuration Setup. As I say Exchange ain't on the Unity box & I'm homing it on a 5.5 box in another domain (trusts, rights etc all ok). Accepts username/pwrd, all looks ok, and once again, falls over at the last part of setup. Get the message Unity not installed properly, failed to start one or more services, you'll have to run the setup procedure again to complete the config of this server (I assume you only run Config setup again?). Clicked Finish and got the tick in the taskbar. Lovely - I have services running. All AV services running & associated with the install account except AvDirChangeWriter, so I assume it couldn't start this one. Time for a reboot before running config setup again as suggested, bad idea. Setup error straight off trying to stop services (didn't give any particular reason), icon disappeared from taskbar. Couldn't start any services.<br><br>I'm on a customer site here. Uninstalled, reinstalled 3.0(2), tsp, ran Config Setup, same error about failing to start a service, again AvDirChangeWriter won't start (I'll manually associate this with the install account when I return tomorrow). <br><br>If I try start AvDirChangeWriter manually, I get a MMC message,couldna start svc, svc did not return an error, could be an internal windows error or an internal service error (no kidding).<br><br>Anyone else had similar probs with 3.0(2) installs. Anyone done a 3.0(2) upgrade from 3.0(1) on a live system? Can I live without this service? I don't thinkso quoting from the manual this service is "The Directory Change Writer" and it "gets messages from the change queue (posted by the AvDSEx55 service) and writes them to the Unity SQL database."<br><br>On another Unity server I'm also getting AvCsMgr unexpected errors generated which take unity offline (busy tone) until the box is rebooted. I think this has something to do with the tsp having comms problems for eg with the CCM. I'm monitoring this, but I've got another Unity server in a local with 2 x CCM. If I run the tsp test pointing to one (my prime) it tests ok every time, but the secondary randomly errors on different ports (I have 24), could be port 3, 6, 12 or 24. Sometimes it even works on this box, strange. When it errors I get a AvCsMgr error in the event log. When I get these errors Unity is unavailable. Anyone had this? Both CCMs setup same, I'm checking to see if this is a CCM issue poss with SQL synching? <br><br>That'll do me for now I think. Off to bed now I've got that off my chest.<br><br>(I'm in Europe folks so I'll be replying tomorrow evening)<br><br><br>

6 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: 3.0(2) Install/Config Setup Issues.

finally found someone that types more than me!

Well... lots of stuff in this post and it sounds like it's related to multiple systems in different states, but a couple of things.

1. The uninstall does not even think about touching your message store. It wont touch your AD/NT or Exchange accounts other than to clean off the custom properties used by Unity to identify someone in the directory as a subscriber (you can see these prepended with "cisco" in ADSIEdit in AD or in Custom Attributues 12 and 14 in Ex5.5). Currently it needs to connect to the DOH to find these fellows properly and if the DOH is on it's lips, you can't do a clean uninstall... you can uninstall everything but that by using the "/skipdoh" command line parameter if you want. This means you'll need to manually clean those folks if you want to import them into another Unity install later.

2. Sounds like you are having lots and lots of fun with part 2 setup. Reading over this it's hard for me to speculate exactly what's happening, but I can say so far about € of those problems turn out to be related to some not-so-obvious-right not being associated with the install account at some point along the way. And about 0 of the people I suggest that to swear up and down that's not the case. SysCheck needs to be seriously pumped up to check for all these but currently it's pretty whimpy. This is being addressed for 3.1. The best I can suggest is to make extra-super-sure you've got them all in there as documented for this install account.

3. If a service fails to start, always look in the application event log. You'll see a series of creates/inits/runs for each module in Unity (there's a number of them). At the point it trips and falls down you'll see one or more error messages and then it'll start to back out with pauses and shutdowns until it's all the way backed out (and you hear the "unhappy tones"). These error messages would be a helpful clue as to what's going on in the startup process that's not happy.

4. No, you're not going to get real far without the change writer starting. This service should be associated with the system, not a specific account. The same is true for the AvCsGateway and AvCsMgr... AvDSAD and AVDSGlobalCatalog services should be associated with the install account by default.

5. go to bed... it must be late there.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

In think yesterday was one of those days that I could've bet on an odds on favourite and come in last!

When I left yesterday part one of setup had installed ok, but the last part of Config Setup couldn't start a service and returned an error about not being able to start a service (AvDirChangeWriter as that's the only one that hadna started!). AvDirChangeWriter in this state was setup as manual, system account.

Went into the service today, Log On tab, selected the 2nd radio button to select an account, left the default localsystem username/pwrd, and started the service ok. Cool. Rebooted and all my services including AvDirChangeWriter started ok. Good. Ran Config Setup again, all ok this time. Few.

I'm happy now with 3.0(2) on this box. Need to finish the rest of the config and see how this preforms compared to 3.0(1) now.

But, I do have another Unity server that has been running ok for a coupla weeks, 100 odd UM subscribers, Exch 5.5 on Unity box. No complaints, but got a colleague to confirm the running services, and AvDirChangeWriter isn't running. I haven't had a chance to get to the box to check the logs etc for this box, but I'll update this post with any further info.

Obviously this service should be running, but as I say, no-one (users) has experienced any probs with Unity so it hasn't really come to light (er, yet!). New subscribers have been added to this box in this state & subs updated ok so I dunno?

If I tried to start AvDirChangeWriter on this box I got the MMC message "couldn't start svc, svc did not return an error, could be an internal windows error or an internal service error" (just like the other one). Not much help. Tried as above, associating it with the system (this is all using the account used to install Unity & full exch perms), no go, same message. Associated it with the domain account used to install Unity (the one logged on with, recommended permissions, dom admins etc), and it started ok. Hmm. I'm reasonably happy at least that the service starts now, and it runs after a reboot, all ok there and all Unity services up and running.

Slightly concerned I couldn't associate AvDirChangeWriter with the system account, but at least it's running now. All other AV services are associated with the same dom account used to install Unity.

Now the question I guess, finally. Jeff, although you mentioned that AvDirChangeWriter should be associated with the system account, what are the implications of it is not and it is associated with a dom account that has the appropriate rights etc that was used to install the other services? Bit strange that the account/setup procedure has the rights/ability to create the services, assign the appropriate rights to every other AV service, but won't start AvDirChangeWriter.

Pre-amble as ever for your info...

At least it's Friday today!

Anonymous
N/A

Hmmm... that is puzzling. I'm not sure why that would happen or what the implications of running it with a domain account would be. I know the services that need access to Exchange messaging services have to be run as the system (long story with MS permissions in Ex2K...) but for the change writer I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

You probably wont notice anything wrong unless you're trying to use networking features between multiple Unity servers in the company. The change writer sees changes to specific fields in SQL tables and knows to write those through to the directory such that other Unity subscribers on other boxes can address messages, find them in the alpha directory, ring their phone etc... if you aren't trying to leverage those features, users wouldn't really know this service was napping...

I'll have to get with the folks that are responsible for this and the monitoring service (the guy that see changes in the directory and sucks them into SQL) and chat about the implications of which account it runs under and/or why it would be having difficulty starting...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Jeff,

FYI I am intending using networking features as I have 2 sites with 1 Unity server in each site (1 is on 3.0(1) and the other is now on 3.0(2)).
I won't be in a position to test this until this-evening when the transcoders etc should be configured.

I'll update you accordingly.

Cheers.

When I had a couple of error messages at the end of Config Setup, and re-ran the config setup until it went through smoothly, I've ended up with a couple of extra default locations in the Cisco Unity\Locations container in Exchange 5.5.

Is it ok to just delete the default locations and leave the latest one, or shall I just/is it ok to just leave them?

Cheers,
Have a good weekend folks.

Anonymous
N/A

They're not hurting anything, I'd just leave them well enough alone.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content