cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3.0 installation queries

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I installed successfully 3.0 with sql 2000 on box A and exchange 2000 on box B and the callmanager on box C . I created some new subscribers from the sa page and I imported a couple of already created users with the import tool.<br><br>The problem that I am having is the following. When I press on the messages button and i enter my password I get the failsafe greeting immediately.<br><br>In the event viewer I see the following error:<br><br>GetMailBoxStatus returned (0X80004005)....<br>Running conversation Submenu on Port 1, subscriber display Fred Flinstone alias Flint...<br><br>When I open statusmonitor.exe I see Get MailboxStatusState -Error Event- go to failsafe greeting<br><br>When I go to DohProptest I get a similar error message when I try to get status of Mailbox<br><br>I have no outlook installed. I suspect an authentication problem when Unity tries to login into the Mailbox. <br><br>Any ideas on how to solve this?<br><br><br><br>

13 Replies 13

Not applicable

your security event log might show you if it's an authentication problem, but it also could a problem making the MAPI connection to the mailbox in the first place.

Installing Outlook & testing MAPI connectivity to Exchange might be worth a shot.

Not applicable

Hi
Tnx for the quick reply. Is there another way that we can troubleshoot the mapi profile without using outlook. I suspect Unity is using a mapi profile to login to the mailboxes. Is there a way we can check this profile or recreate it?

Not applicable

You can try installing the Exchange Admin tools... I'm not sure if you can look at profiles until a MAPI client of some sort gets installed.

Not applicable

The exchange admin tools are installed, I will install outlook and look at the mapi profile. Tnx

Not applicable

Hi
I have done some more testing with this. I installed outlook and when I opened the profile I saw there a Unity System Profile. I opened the properties and I saw that it was pointing to the correct exch server but I was pointing to a mailbox that I did not have. When I tried to run outlook with that account it said it could not I changed it into administrator and the situtation changed a bit. I was able now to check for messages but all the messages were still stored in the mta folder in the Unity and they were not sent to the exchange mailbox.

What I would like to know is the following: if you suspect a problem with the mapi profile, what settings do you need if you want to recreate it? Do you actually need a mapi profile (I also have a all in 1 box installation and when I install outlook on there I do not see a unity system profile)
Tnx for the responses in advance

Not applicable

Does anybody has an idea about the previous question?

Not applicable

Just to let you know, we're trying to run this one down today.

Normally what I'd have you do is delete the "Unity_" account, remove the message profile and reboot the server. Unity creates both the account and the profile (and hooks them up proplery) on startup on the fly. We had to do this work since so many folks deleted one or the other in the field not knowing what they were used for.

you can't just create the profile by hand because by default is has a limited number of sessions it'll allow and Unity needs that limit removed. When we create it programatically we pass in a magic Microsoft flag to do this and there's no way (that I know of) to set this manually.

Testing on my 3.0 build 192 box at home here with this procedure, it creates the Unity_ account fine and the profile information gets stuffed into the registry but the profile does not show up in the mail applet off the control panel. Outside caller messages don't get delivered in this scenario (subscriber to subscriber messages are, however... which makes sense).

I'm working on it and when I get a procedure for you to try, I'll post it here. Hang tight.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Hi Jeff
Tnx for the feedback. I also tried to delete the profile like you did but it did not come back.
Could you be a bit more clear on this:Outside caller messages don't get delivered in this scenario (subscriber to subscriber messages are, however... which makes sense).

Ullie

Not applicable

We're currently still working through this for Ex2K. It's a lot more involved than Exchange 5.5 was since the security stuff is quite a bit different and there's more to it than just deleting the profile at this point. Murray is working on automating the process in the DOH but we're still ironing out the kinks. I have a manual process I'm working through now... if I get it working I'll post it here (it's pretty involved I'm afraid).

The Messaging profile is connected to the Unity_ account which is used to send all messages from unknown callers (i.e. folks who do not identify themselves as subscribers). If you're a subscriber leaving a message for another subscriber this guy is not involved at all... the message is left from your subscriber account (i.e. we log in as you). As such problems with this account and or message profile only affect messages from outside callers.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Hi Jeff
Just one question/remark. If you press the messages button on the phone and you login with your correct password unity needs to check your mailbox to see if you have new messages or not. If it fails with the failsafe greeting at this point does it mean we have a problem with Unity logging in as you in your mailbox? Is there anything we can troubleshoot here?

Ullie

Not applicable

If you're getting failsafe when you log in over the phone it could be any number of issues but yes... it could be a permissions issue with us not being able to log into the mailbox or something along those lines. Check the application event log for errors (this should always be the first stop you make when you get the failsafe conversation). It should give you some clues, but I'll bet you'll see mailbox login errors in there. At this point you should probably take it up with the field test team real quick (they need to know if you have a problem ASAP).

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Hi
Who do you want me to contact? I am at home now but I can drive to Cisco to gather some additional info.
Ullie

Not applicable

Hi Jef
Just another quick question, you mention that outside callers don't get delivered when you do your procedure. Can a subscriber login and listen if he has new messages or after the password does he immediately hear the failsafe greeting?