cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3.1.5 VM Only Private Message Store size limit reached!

j.house
Level 4
Level 4

A client of mine has a VM only Unity installation that can't mount the Private Message Store because it hase reached the maximum size limit (16383). How can I clean up the Store if I can't mount it?

Suggestions Please?

7 Replies 7

ksilva
Level 1
Level 1

The customer is using, Standard or Enterpise? How big is the mailstore?

They are running standard VM only. I didn't think Enterprise was allowed in a VM only installation? The database size is currently 16784mb. even after running eseutil.exe /d on the private message store database.

Defragmenting a database requires free disk space equal to 110 percent of the size of the database being processed.

You might want to try a compaction, but it gets pretty dicey.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q192185&sd=tech

Doesn't eseutil /d defrag and compact the database? This has been run 3 times now with no reduction in size. I can't believe that there isn't a way to clean up the message store to allow it to fall below the allowed size. That's like having a car that's broke, knowing whats wrong with it, but aren't allowed to fix it!

The only way to deal with this is to lay your hands on some HD space and map ESEUTIL to force it to use that space. For instance, toss another big HD on there (at least 125% of the size of your private store - bigger is better). Then you would run these commands:

ESEUTIL /p /ispriv /t x:\tempdfg.edb

ESEUTIL /p /ispub /t x:\tempdfg.edb

ISINTEG -fix -pri -tests alltests

ISINTEG -fix -pub -tests alltests

where "x:\" is the drive that has the space for eseutil to do it's thing.

ESEUTIL makes a complete copy of the db and then pulls back in records that are still needed into the live database leaving all the tombstoned items and stuff out - hence producing a smaller DB. Not the slickest defrag scheme in the world but hey...

I will give these steps a try. Just to further clarify another question related to this issue:

Am I not able to upgrade from my standard Exchange install to the Enterprise version of Exchange where I won't have these restrictions? I have found information that leads me to believe that I can't but I want to be sure. Again this is a VM only installation.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

No, your VM only install doesn't support Enterprise Exchange here. The license from MS for VM only excludes that.

The thing to do is install multiple Exchange standard servers - your VM license allows this for as many Exchange servers as you need so long as they are _only_ being used for voice mail from the Unity box they're attached to. This helps with load balancing as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: