Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3.3 Upgrade from 3.1(4b) on MCS7825

We are looking at doing an upgrade to 3.3 from 3.1(4b) on MCS7825's. My main concern is most of the upgrade documents talk about pulling a disk for the option to restore back if the upgrade fails. The 7825's have only 1 disk. We have 2 servers in the cluster, both 7825-800. What is the best way for me to do the upgrade giving an easy backout IF the upgrade fails.

In the past we have removed the subscriber and installed from fresh as the publisher on the new CM ver, then restored the backup file. Made sure we were happy for a couple of days before moving the old pubislher into the cluster as the new subscriber.

Not sure this will work for this option for this upgrade. Would the use of something like Ghost or DriveImage be a viable option for a quick restore if the upgrade fails? Comments please?

Secondly, we are using Extension Mobility, ART, BAT on 3.1(4b). Anyone done this upgrade with EM, etc installed and had any issues?

Thanks in advance

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 3.3 Upgrade from 3.1(4b) on MCS7825

David,

No 3.5.18 is the latest version, but 3.5.6 is the one that ships with CM 3.3. The only time I've ever had a problem upgrading was when I tried to use the newer version of the back-up util.

Now I'm not saying you will have a problem, but you will need to work out how you are going to install the newer back-up software in the middle of the upgrade proccess to make sure it understands the back-up you took.

Personally I would downgrade the Back-up util, perform the upgrade and then update the back-up afterwards.

And don't forget to take a copy of the files on the E: drive.

Paul

8 REPLIES

Hello David,

I would most certainly take a Ghost or Drive Image backup prior to any upgrade. Your idea of creating a new publisher leaving the old publisher intact is also very good.

Be careful with the STI backup and different versions of CallManager. An associate took a backup of a 3.1 CallManager only to find that the STI backup version used in 3.1 did not work for 3.3. I believe the current version of STI backup is 3.5.6.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_installation_guide09186a008011b6db.html

Extension Mobility is completely different (actually much easier in 3.3). I have not upgraded an EM client to 3.3.

Good luck!

Regards,

Bob

Thanks for the info and the heads up on the STI backup. We'll definately do an image backup before the upgrade.

Regards

David

David,

I've done a number of upgrades now and only once had a problem. This was down to using the wrong version of backup. Use the version that ships on the cm3.3 disks and you'll have no problems.

It's a pretty daunting proccess when you look at what has to be done, just remember to take a copy of the sti files from the E: drive on your call manager before you do the upgrade, something that's not mentioned in the instructions.

Otherwise the upgrade procedure works well. I find that copying the backup file and the sti files from E back to a directory on the server just after the OS install completes, speeds up the proccess a little.

Oh and just install the subscriber again from scratch, it's just not worth trying to keep them as they rebuild the database anyway.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the info. We upgraded the STI backup a month or so ago with the update from CCO, ver 3.5.18. Is this the same version that is on the 3.3 CD by any chance? If so guess it saves us a step.

Just to clarify the subscriber side of things. I don't need to keep this to do the upgrade, is that correct. I am sure I saw a CD specfically for the Subscriber in the 3.3 upgrade pack. Is it better to rebuild the Sub from scratch or to use this upgrade CD?

Many thanks again

David

David,

3.5.18 has worked fine on several upgrades from 3.1 to 3.3 of which I am aware.

Bob

David,

No 3.5.18 is the latest version, but 3.5.6 is the one that ships with CM 3.3. The only time I've ever had a problem upgrading was when I tried to use the newer version of the back-up util.

Now I'm not saying you will have a problem, but you will need to work out how you are going to install the newer back-up software in the middle of the upgrade proccess to make sure it understands the back-up you took.

Personally I would downgrade the Back-up util, perform the upgrade and then update the back-up afterwards.

And don't forget to take a copy of the files on the E: drive.

Paul

Bob/Paul,

thanks agian for the information. I have a spare 7825 in a lab so will look at doing the following:

restored an up dated copy of my current system

downgrading the STI Backup to the one that ships with 3.3

take a backup of the system under new version STI Backup

take a copy of files on E drive and sti file to other location on network

doing a ghost image of the server

attempt the upgrade to 3.3 and see what happens

plug the upgraded lab server in after hours and make sure CM works as expected.

Documenting every step throught he process to follow the upgrade path in live.

Thanks again

David

Performed Upgrade on Lab server after using Drive image to take a copy of current setup. Left STI Backup as 3.5(18) but install failed at restore (as suggested it would). Restored image and down graded STi to 3.5(6) on 3.3 CD. Backed up and did upgrade all ok.

Thanks again for the advice. Just need to add the additioanl services like BAT, EM etc. to the system.

Regards

David

Views
Helpful
Replies