cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3 Second Delay in Audio

mpaul
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Call Manager 4.01 Sr1a implementation with approximately 55 7940/7960 IP Phones. They are connected with 2 3560 48 port inline power phones, a 3550 24 port and then a 3750 24 Port Gigabit switch. I have a voice and data vlan with all the voice servers and phones in the voice vlan. I recently upgraded to the 6.05 firmware load on the phone and noticed a strange thing. For off-net and on-net calls sometimes, maybe 3 out of 10 calls users will hear a delay in the audio. Once a call is established you try to speak and hear nothing for 3 seconds. After the 3 seconds you can hear the other caller. Some delay in the RTP stream. I've opened a TAC case and they helped me take the firmware back to 6.04 but I am still hearing the same delays. They've wanted me to gather packet traces but since this is so random it is difficult to track down. I essentially have to do a port span and be right at the phone to capture the traces correctly. Wondering if anybody has seen this before?

I've swapped switch ports, ethernet cables, phones. I'm using auto qos voip cisco-phone on the switch ports for the QOS features. There's no inter-vlan routing going on for the voice traffic.

The switches are in a hub-and-spoke design with all the switches hanging off the gigabit switch. They're uplinked with each other via copper gigabit.

71 Replies 71

I haven't heard anything from Cisco, but I am testing the very latest firmware with some phones. This is 7.1.1, just released yesterday. Hopefully it comes with the fix, even though is not mentioned in the release notes. Still too early to tell if this one makes a difference.

thanks

I was thinking the same thing, but was hoping to see it mentioned in the fixes.

Please let me know if it fixed it.

Rob

Thanks for the reply.... please do let me know how you go. Cheers John

I'm going to try and apply the firmware updates at our offices. If there's no problems I'll give it a try at our clients office and see if it resolves the issue. Hopefully it will. Thanks for all the replies, I didn't know it was such a big issue with everybody. Thought it was something I was doing.

Same problem, CCM version is now 3.3(4)sr2, gateway is a 6608 T1 PRI on a 6509. We also upgraded to the 6.0.5 software...but we had this problem back CCM 3.3.3sr4a with the 5.0.6 software.

TMH

I have a customer having the same problem. Happens on GW calls and IP-IP.

New firmware load out on 11-24 (or so) is supposed to fix the problem. We don't have it loaded yet, so I can't report on the results.

I saw that new load as well - I'm going to apply it to our 600+ IP phones Monday 11-29, I will see if that fixes the problem.

TMH

Same problem, seems to be more frequent on calls that are placed on hold, but CM 4.0.2aES9.1 with phone load 6.0.5. We are on 6.0.5 because of a bug in 6.0.4 concerning line status with shared lines. Rolling back is not an issue. I've put load 7.1.1 on the server but have not applied it to any but 1 phone. Will let the forum know the results of that change when I make it.

Post upgrade to 7.1.1, no complaints of pausing. 7.1.1 seems to be THE load for CM4.0.2a. I wouldn't even try 6.0.4 or 6.0.5 from now on.

I have been experiencing this problem at my site. We are running 4.0(2)a. I have loaded the 7.1.1 version on a few phones. I would like to use the T017 Load that people are getting from TAC. I am willing to open a case to get that if that is what I need to do or can I just request it?

Does anyone have the BugID for this and does any one know when they will release the T017 Load for full release?

Thanks

its my understanding that the 7.1.1. load w/ 4.0 fixes the problem. I've upgraded my 4.0 customer to that load and it seems to have fixed the delay.

I've gotton the T017 from tac which I put on a 3.3.4 cm site.

Rob

Where do I obtain IP Telephone Firmware? I can't find it under the CallManager Software Page.

It's not under the CallManager software page - it's on it's own page: Cisco IP Phone FW 7900 Series (NON SIP)

TMH

Where do I obtain IP Telephone Firmware? I can't find it under the CallManager Software Page.

You of course need a CCO login. There's a link to this on the Call Manager download page. This is also non-sip.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-7900ser

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: