Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3745 running IPSEC, firewall, voice gateway

Does anyone hear about there's an issue with the 3745 running IPSEC, firewall, voice gateway all at the same time. We are planning to use 3745 to run as VPN gateway to connect to our remote offices as well as using the same box to run VoIP between the sites and voice gateway to the PSTN. I was told that it's better off to use a seperate gateway such as VG-200 to act as a PSTN gateway. Any idea?

Please direct me any url (tac tool, bug tool kit etc) if you have experienced this before. Thanks.

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: 3745 running IPSEC, firewall, voice gateway

Check the Packet forwarding performance of Cisco 3745 router. Based on this, DRAM and flash you can determine the capability of Cisco 3745 router. As voice packets are delay sensitive it is advisable to have it in a sepeate gateway. I guess VG 200 has reached End of life.

The only advice I have is to stay the hell away from it. If you put 12.3.4T on it, you firewall will probably not work (ACL bypass won't work), you will have additional load on the router, will pay more money for the software alone than for a PIX... Voice will work fine, but putting the rest on the box would be a nightmare.

Dragi

Bronze

I agree, buy a PIX and let it do firewall service for you. The overhead on the processor with all of that running is asking for problems. The PIX is cheap enough and will sit and "listen" for you. If you are doing central call processing I would recommend an AIM card for the ipsec vpn traffic. Especially if you are going 3des.

Geoff

I'm currently trying to setup the same scenario.

I currently have an International Private Leased (IPLC) line between 2 office. But the cost for the IPLC is expensive.

So we're migrating to VPN/IPSec between the 2 locations.

Current hardware: Site A has 2 - 2610XM configured as back-to-back on Serial0/0 (DCE-DTE). The first 2610 handles the IPSEC and NAT (With F0/0 as External and Serial 0/0 as internal). Second 2610 as Voice Gateway.

Site B has a 3660 that will run the IPSEC/NAT & Voice Gateway at the same time.

Callmanager and IP Phones are in Site A.

The 2 sites are now connected with VPN/IPSec. When I place a call to Site B, they can hear clearly the audio coming from Site A but Site A hears a delay, jitter and sometimes an echo.

Any ideas if it's caused by having the IPSEC and voice gateway on 1 box?

Views
Helpful
Replies