Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Cisco Support Community site will be in read only mode on Dec14, 2017 from 12:01am PST to 11:30am for standard maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3com switches Cisco IP Phones

can i use cisco ip phones with 3com switches.? A client does not want to purchase new switches if it is not required and they already have some 3com devices.

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: 3com switches Cisco IP Phones

we are using a few 3com superstacks for backend purposes. we had looked at using those instead of 3524's, but we ran into power issues. you have to buy external power supplies for the phones if you don't use a POE switch. Then you have the issue of if you loose power you'lll probably want to keep the phones up. You would have to have each phone on its own UPS. this is what we faced so we decided to go with 3524 POE catalyst switches.

Geoff

If you want to use inline power with the phones and keep them up if the power goes out, you can still do that using 3com switches. I believe there is an inline-power patch panel. I don't think it costs as much as an inline switch, per port.

Bronze

yes you are correct that 3 com does have an inline power panel, but i read somewhere that the pinouts were different for POE. have you used the patch panel and does it work?

Geoff

Cisco has power patch panels. I have several that work very well. The only thing wrong with power patch panels is you have to be onsite to cylcle power to a device. With the 3524 inline power switches I can cycle the phones and access points port by port. This isn't a big deal if you don't have many phones to support.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content