cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

41/61/70 Tone Generator softkey not showing during test call

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00800945bd.shtml#testtone

I've been able to generate tone with older 7940/7960s, but I can't get the Tone Softkey to show. **3 shows "Debug Mode On" but during a call I don't get a Tone Softkey.

4 Replies 4

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

To enable the tone generator, type **3 on the Cisco IP Phone 7960 or 7940 keypad while the phone is not on a call.

Note: From Load #P0030301ESP5, you need to unlock the phone first, then you can press **3. You need to be careful because if you press **# **3 consecutively you will reset the phone (because of the **#** sequence). Therefore, you need to press **#, make a call, then press **3.

2. This enables the Tone softkey for as long as this phone is registered to Cisco CallManager.

3. Place a call to the source of echo.

4. Once the call is established, press the i button twice.

5. This brings up the statistics for the call.

Note: If pressing **3 worked, you should have a Tone softkey available. Press the Tone softkey and the phone begins to generate a 1004 Hz tone at -15 dB. The only way to stop the tone is to end the call.

Missing Tone Generator is DDtS with the 3rd generation phones. Currently no tone generator functionality exists for 7941/7961/7970.

Can someone from Cisco please advise as to the procedure that should be used to enable the tone generator for 7941/61 phones or explain another method for troubleshooting sporadic echo issues.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I would recommend you pickup a older 7940 or 7961 for tone genator, pretty cheap compared to other 3rd party tone generators.