Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

6500 ent. core with WS-X6608-E1

Hi,

I hope someone can give me a suggestion wether to use the following config in a 2000 endpoint LAN with IP telephony.

I'm planning to build a collapsed-core system with two 6509s in the middle. They'll be equipped with Sup2,MSFC2,SFM2.

They'll also contain couple of fabric enabled cards

(WS-X6548-GE-TXs and WS-X6816-GBICs).

My question is that is it adivsable to put a WS-X6608-E1 into one of the core switches to provide PSTN connections?

I heard the followings and I hope they are not true:

- Adding a classic (not fabric enabled) card will degrade the overall switch performance.

- The WS-X6608-E1 is a new module, better to avoid caveats and use couple of 2651s with NM-HDV-2E1-60s as that platform runs in a lot of installations and more reliable.

That config with 4 routers is a lot more expensive than the WS-X6608-E1.

- It is not wise to put a gateway module to a core switch.

So, 6608 or another kind of gateway?

Thanks for the help,

Attila

1 REPLY

Re: 6500 ent. core with WS-X6608-E1

For at least some of the information you may want to re-examine your source.

The 6608 T1/E1 module is certainly not new, they've been out for at least three years. The product is well supported, well documented and widely deployed.

Yes, it is significantly more expensive to purchase routers and NM-HDVs. A 6608-E1 lists for $20k and one NM-HDV-2E1-60 lists for $12k.

You can argue the merits of gateway placement and different environments will have different requirements. Generally, the gateways will be placed where key network services are located (telephony being a key service) at the core or darn close to it.

Can't answer the fabric enabled question, but I'd be a little skeptical that there would be significant performance degradation.

Views
Helpful
Replies