cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7-digit dialing problem

8dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

I have a centralized CallManager with 7 sites. Being able to call out locally to any calling area from any site over our WAN is great. However, I have one site that uses 7-digit dialing most of the time. The problem lies where sometimes they have to dial long distance within their own area code. It works fine for the users in that area, but not for everyone else. The CallManager detects the area code, takes out the '1' and strips the area code before sending it out the gateway, because it thinks all calls to that area code are 7-digit. Am I going to have to find all prefixes within that area code that are long distance from our site and create more route patterns? Maybe there's an easier way.

4 Replies 4

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It really depends on what the telco requires for that area, and that may also depend on what type of circuit you have (e.g. FXO/PRI/etc).

If they really require you to send only 7 digits for some numbers in the area code, and really require you to send 1+10 digits for other numbers in the area code, then the only thing I can think of is to define all of them as patterns.

In some cases, if you have an ISDN connection, then their switch may allow you to send just the 10 digits in area codes of that nature. And then you may have to change the called numbering plan to unknown or something along those lines instead of national.

The thing to keep in mind is that you would have the same problem on a legacy PBX (if you were doing least cost routing on a legacy PBX network). If the telco really requires only 7 digits for some numbers and 1+10 digits for other numbers, all in the same area code, then you would have to program the patterns.

I am using an ISDN-PRI, and I tried what you suggested, but without any luck. I guess I will have to program the patterns. Is there a good source to find out how local calling areas are set up?

Try calling your account rep at the PRI provider, and make sure that it really needs to happen this way. You may need to talk to one of the ISDN switch technicians to get the real scoop.

If you really do need to do it this way, they should be able to provide you with a list of how the calling areas are laid out, since they would be imposing this on you in the first place.

Pabloduarte
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried to put A local office code in the Route pattern for the 7 digit sites. the local office code should be the first 3 digits of the 7 digit number.

Ie. 9@ end of dialing exisit, Local area code doesnot exit, local office code exit =XXX

This may work in you situation.