cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7900 series phone on Nortel LAN

kevin.p.dean
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to deploy Cisco IP Telephony on a all Nortel LAN. The edge switches are Baystack 450's. The question is, how do I handle VLAN's for voice and data? The Nortel switch and Cisco phone don't seem to work with each other. As a result, I can't set QoS at the edge.

Any help is appreciated.

3 Replies 3

bwalchez
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think this is posssible as Voice and Data packets will not be recognized for QOS segreagation.

we are in the same situation at the moment! our customer uses baystack 450 switches and cisco 3550 seed-switches. the problem is, that the cisco switches could use vlan's in mixed-mode, that means they have one port with the native vlan configured (untagged, for the pc-data) and a second vlan (tagged, for the voice data). but the baystack don't support mixed-mode, a port is either tagged or untagged. we are testing a so called port-sharing mode on the baystack, but with no success at all! i think this is a very important subject, because many customers have a non-cisco topology and won't change it. so we have to find a solution to get this scenario work! if anybody has experiences, please post it. i think this topic could help a lot of us...

thx jochen

Feature request: Ability to have the phone tag the packets that are being received on the PC port - the phone would also need to untag the packets when sending them back to the PC.

One workaround if your PC supports it is to use tagged packets on the switch, and set the PC to tag the packets. The phone will send these packets through to the switch without changing the tagging. Just set the PC to tag to the appropriate vlan number.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: